time problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a rought time. I know the stuff, but I am running out of time. I realize that I am behind half way through and then totally screw up the rest of the test.

does anyone have any advice on how to fix this.

For example, I just took 5r and did awful. The first 27 questions in the PS, I only missed 4. Then I looked at my watch and saw that I had only 60minutes left. I frantically did the individual quaestion and then went back to the passages. I rushed big time, reading the passages and then basically guessing at the rest so I could attempt all of the questions. I missed 25 of the remaining 50.

Same this happened in Verbal. I missed six fo the first 30 and then when I looked at the clock, I missed 20 of the next 30.

I know this is a mental thing. I Need Help BAD!!!!

Bio I am alright with time.

Members don't see this ad.

It will really help if you allocate yourself something like 24 minutes for three passages attempted...... this will make you look at the watch every three passages..... and do the indvidual questions first..... most of them you either know or don't.... and the time u save u can use towards your passages..... don't go by question numbers....go by # of passages...

For verbal for three passages allocate 27 min...... it still doesn't work for me yet :D but I am still trying to achieve that.....

1. Looking at the time: If looking at the time bothers you. Find out how many passages you can usually complete in 70 mins. Let's say you complete 8 passages on average, then on the practice test, don't look at your time until you've completed 8 passages. If you're consistent, you should be at plus or minus 5 mins. This allows you 30 mins to hurry through the rest of the section.

2. To speed up your pace, skip the reading for passages that have lots of diagrams and/or little text. Go straight to the questions and try to answer as many as you can. If you're stuck on any of the questions, quickly skim through the passage for information you need.

3. If a question requires extensive calculation, write down the formula you need and skip it. If you have time at the end, go back to the question and do the calculations.

3. If a question requires extensive calculation, write down the formula you need and skip it. If you have time at the end, go back to the question and do the calculations.
I disagree with this advice. I think that if you happen to know how to do a problem for sure, there is no reason to skip it to move on. If you think you can get it right, then get your points and move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by indyzx
I disagree with this advice. I think that if you happen to know how to do a problem for sure, there is no reason to skip it to move on. If you think you can get it right, then get your points and move on.

yeah...
chances are that knowing/deriving the formula will take the longest amount of time and most thinking.

after that it's a matter of choosing the right numbers to put into their respecitve variables

You had 50 questions left and 60 minutes. That's not too bad. Try and do the tests WITHOUT looking at the time halfway - actually, without looking at the time at all. You might be on track and panicking for no reason. Some questions / passages take much less time than others and those are all factored into the test by the test writers.