Time saving verbal tip!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't underline, circle, or box anything in the passage.

If you don't agree, ask yourself this question. "Have I ever gotten a question right because I circled a word?"

The answer for me at least was a resounding "NO ....sunovabitch! All this time!"

I still like to write out the main idea of the passage, and I even write in the magins sometimes when the author flip flops a lot. But try and limit youself to a few words each passage.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I imagine different things work for different people. I don't like highlighting, circling or doing anything to the text. Moreover, I'll be taking the CBT version.

I like to think of it as active reading where you constantly ask yourself why is the author telling me this, why now, etc.. as you read the passage. If given, who's this guy telling me this stuff, what's he think about this stuff he's talking about. Pay attention to names of characters or things he's talking about.

This thinking keeps the mind away from negative thoughts and may help you focus.

Good Luck,
-Y_Marker