time spent in research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basolateral

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
would spending an average of 25hrs/week doing research make up for the fact that I only have a semester (~6months) worth of experience doing research?

Members don't see this ad.

would spending an average of 25hrs/week doing research make up for the fact that I only have a semester (~6months) worth of experience doing research?

It doesn't matter how much time you spend....You must be able/have these things...

1. Do you have a good LOR from your P.I.?
2. Can you talk about your research experience at an interview? Do you understand what your role was and how to added to the body of research done in the lab and towards the field in general?

Honestly, for straight MD admissions, I would say that the most important thing is being able to talk intelligently and enthusiastically about your research. If you aren't enthusiastic and involved, it won't matter if you've been in the lab for a week or a decade...your interviewers won't be impressed by the experience. Likewise, a large number of weekly hours isn't enough by itself to make your research time impressive.

Work on talking about your research, and sounding happy about it. That's the most important thing you can do at this point.