capone2975

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
I know numbers will vary from person to person, but is there a rule of thumb on how many hours are spent on school a week? Want to see if there is still time to spend with the family if I go to med school, assuming I can get in:)

gattaca

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
Status
capone2975 said:
I know numbers will vary from person to person, but is there a rule of thumb on how many hours are spent on school a week? Want to see if there is still time to spend with the family if I go to med school, assuming I can get in:)
actually quite a bit of time is spent studying especially a week before an exam. at least for me and my classmates. kiss the weekend before an exam goodbye and prepare to study hard about a week before-hand...i don't think it's impossible to have a family while in med school but you'll be spending MUCH less time with your spouse and kids--i can assure you that.

OP
C

capone2975

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2005
Status
gattaca said:
actually quite a bit of time is spent studying especially a week before an exam. at least for me and my classmates. kiss the weekend before an exam goodbye and prepare to study hard about a week before-hand...i don't think it's impossible to have a family while in med school but you'll be spending MUCH less time with your spouse and kids--i can assure you that.

Thank you!! Do many med students have kids?

spartanburg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
Spartanburg, SC
www.spartfam.org
Status
I would encourage you not only to think about the impact that medical school with have on you as an individual and on your family, but to think ahead a little to what residency and private practice will be like. Residency makes medical school look like a vacation and for some private practice makes residency look like a vacation. It's a long road and you'd be suprised at the effect it can have on a person over the course of 7 to 10 years it takes to complete training.

You'll have time for your family in med school, in residency and in private practice if you make time for them.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
anyone else have some real answers? I think this is a valid question, let's not jump on the OP about his motivations... jeesh.

anothertbmember

Senioritis sufferer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Medical Student
funstuff, you sound like you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Lets see, I'm not a good one to poll because we are learning infectious disease and treatments (known as bugs and drugs) in two weeks, but for me it has been about 80 hours in the past week. Hurrah for the test on Friday after which I will be a much happier man.

dsblaha

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2004
Winston-Salem
Visit site
Status
I look at med school as a 60 hr a week job, depending on whether or not a test is coming up it can go higher. No more than any other job. I probably spend more time with my family now than I did before because there is more flexibility of choosing when to study. And I don't have to spend 2hrs a day in traffic anymore.

Plenty of people in med school have families.

ID in 2 weeks really sucks. I've come to realize I can't memorize everything so i'm not even going to try.