time taken off between med school and residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyri

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about how many years people have taken off (or know of others who have taken off) between med school and residency.

What did you/they do during the gap in training?

How was it for you/them once they got back on that slippery slope?

I don't know of too many examples, but I do know a woman (IMG) who took 10 (!) years off between school and FP residency to raise her children while her husband completed residency and cardiology fellowship and established his practice. It was hard for her to come back, but she was surviving.

Also have heard of a couple of folks who took time (2-3 years each) after finishing internship. One worked in Alaska for the IHS, one worked for the EIS in Maine. They seemed to have no problem getting back into the swing of things...but then again, they had completed internship and also had been doing relevant work during their time away. One came back to do FP, The other did Psychiatry.

Obviously what one does in the interim and what field one returns to are important factors.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.