Time: the worst enemy of those in the middle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maxwell Edison

Majoring In Medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A previous thread momentarily touched on this, and I just wanted to
open this up for further discussion.

Although it is obvious that applying on the first day gives an applicant the absolute best shot at consideration, are those apps submitted by "average med school students" (i.e., 3.5 gpa, 30 MCAT, all things equal) in August/September/October generally condemned to pad the bottom of the wastebasket? This stands to reason, particularly considering that most interviews are set up and conducted in this time, but clearly not all, as they continue into January and February. Is there some point on the calendar that one can indicate in red pen, "Abandon all hope, ye who apply past this date."

My personal experience: September is too late. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

A previous thread momentarily touched on this, and I just wanted to
open this up for further discussion.

Although it is obvious that applying on the first day gives an applicant the absolute best shot at consideration, are those apps submitted by "average med school students" (i.e., 3.5 gpa, 30 MCAT, all things equal) in August/September/October generally condemned to pad the bottom of the wastebasket? This stands to reason, particularly considering that most interviews are set up and conducted in this time, but clearly not all, as they continue into January and February. Is there some point on the calendar that one can indicate in red pen, "Abandon all hope, ye who apply past this date."

My personal experience: September is too late. Thoughts?

Sadly, what you say is true. The later you wait, the smaller your chance of even getting your app looked at by someone on the committee. The difference is dramatic as well; a matter of weeks can make a huge difference. My LORs really held me back because I got my LOR after December from a couple of my profs - what can you do? I asked for the letters in May but didn't get it until AFTER the schools were already done processing the secondaries and I had one or two missing letters! :(

That was a wasted year, needless to say......