Time to change letter of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsres

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to programs after resigning from a residency program a few months into it last year for personal reasons and to change specialties. I have four good letters already available and downloaded into ERAS. I have two good references from my clinical clerkships in medical school including a strongly supportive letter from the chairman of the family medicine program I did a rotation in. I also have two good references from physicians I have spent time with recently. However I understand that programs would want something from the program director of the residency program I was previously in. My former program director has written a letter for me that is ok and is more supportive than not. It has been sent in but still not received and scanned in yet. It will probably be two weeks from today before it is scanned and available on ERAS.

I dropped one of the clinical letters (not letter from chairman) and designated my former program directors letter of reference in its place yesterday so programs know it is coming. About an hour later I got my first rejection letter from a program stating that “the review committee has denied your application for the 2007 medical residency training program”. I have not gotten any other rejection letters yet. I am not sure if this was just a coincidence or because I changed the designation. That program had just received and downloaded the letter from the program chairman of my family medicine clerkship the day before the rejection. It appeared that all my letters had been submitted and downloaded by that time. My question is it better to have all four letters that are available designated until the letter from my former program director is available or should I designate him as one of my letters now so that programs know it is coming? Nearly all of the programs I have applied to have already downloaded the four available letters. No offers for an interview yet and one rejection.

Members don't see this ad.

even though this is an eras question, this thread might be better in the main general residency forum, with a different title, like, "changing residency programs", so that you'll get responses from people who have done this. i dunno. i doubt any of us looney 4th years will be able to answer this one. moderator?