Time to confess - which one of you posted this video

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Who do you think posted this?

• A crazy lounger not named nutmeg

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I’m not a super emotional guy, but the other day my girlfriend was showing me adoptable cats and I started crying because we can’t even pick one before we move in June. I identify with this on a spiritual level.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't post to eharmony.... but I did mention on OKC something like my cats are my babies and I plan on having 50 when I'm old

this makes me wonder, did I come off like a crazy cat lady? :thinking:
is this why I'm alone?
oh wait, I'm not alone, I have my cats
problem solved

Reactions: 9 users
Note to prevet community: if you have to ask yourself the question “Am I a crazy cat person?” : the answer is “yes”

Reactions: 8 users
upload_2019-2-15_23-34-21.png

I really do love cats so much tho

I do really love cats so much tho... (it low key annoys me how many more vet med people prefer dogs lol)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure this is true but I swear sometimes I feel like the only one because I know so many cat people...
Interesting! There is a huge disparity in how people get care for their animals too which is super sad. Over 85% of the small animal patients are dogs (at my school's veterinary teaching hospital). A lot of people don't want to fork out dough for their cats and it makes me really sad

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting! There is a huge disparity in how people get care for their animals too which is super sad. Over 85% of the small animal patients are dogs. A lot of people don't want to fork out dough for their cats and it makes me really sad
Even in freaking vet school you still have clinicians being like “oh cats are just awful patients,” instead of actually learning feline friendly techniques that’ll make their lives and the kitties far better.

Also, stress at vet visits is one of the reasons owners have reported not taking their cat to the vet unless ill. That’s something we can and should be addressing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
What I've found is that people seem to understand that dog ownership requires a lot more day-to-day effort to care for them, possibly even more expensive at the outset (seems like dog food costs more, as well as other things, granted between cat food AND litter not sure how that works out in the final analysis, I find that dogs are more work). I think there is a different perception of what the levels of commitment are needed for cat vs dog ownership.

I think some of this is due to the perception of cats' independence, hardiness, and the fact that for many people they're sort of.... like some kind of wild animal you expect to fend for themselves. Kinda like "well I adopted this rat/cat from the barn so that was my good deed, they were fine on their own I just sorta elevated their QOL" whereas I don't think there is a perception that the natural state of a dog is to be "making it" "on their own" like a cat sorta can (to be clear, I don't think cats do well and should be treated as some sort of wild animal you just put food outside for, although I think some do actually live this way).

Just expressing some attitudes I've seen amongst people where I live, which is awash in poverty, unfixed animals, animals running sort of wild, and people talking about whether or not they should/can go to a vet for their dog vs cats.

I know someone said to me, "Well most cats are healthy and just fend for themselves. If they happen to be unlucky and have a problem then it's just too bad." Like they're outside the norm and that "rarity" makes it outside the standard of care to pay to take care of it. I think people expect dogs to have more problems. I mean, I think I expect that too although I don't know if it's true, I know cats can be really good at hiding issues.

For me at least, I don't really care how common/uncommon the issue is, it doesn't factor into my decision-making process for vet care for my cats. But I guarantee I am doing things most humans would never do for a human, let alone a cat (not that I make those distinctions for mine).

I think dogs tend to be the more public of the two pets, and from that perspective it's not just that it's easier to get them in to a vet, but also that people are more likely to notice if you don't ("Hey, I see your dog walks with a limp now, what's up with that Greg?").

Some people tend to see cats as angry self-cleaning furniture and are probably never going to really care about bringing them in. Others are much more motivated to bring their cats in, but the process of collecting them, getting them into carriers, bringing them to the office, stressing them out, and then bringing them home (where, surprise surprise, they can continue to be stressed out for some time after) is something they find very damaging to the relationship they have with their pet, so they elect to not do it until kitty really really needs to go in. We can have a lot of influence on how stressful this process is, and I think it's important to talk to owners about it and really understand what they want a good visit for their cat to look like and to strive toward that with them.

Reactions: 1 users
Some people tend to see cats as angry self-cleaning furniture

This almost makes sense to me, except that clearly these people are not aware of the cats that see humans as the furniture, furniture with hands for petting. Annoying furniture that moves or misuses the hands.

Reactions: 1 user