Time to Get Worried?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jyb5011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my stuff was complete over a month ago. GPA overall - 3.53 and GPA science - 3.3. I am a microbiology and history double major in my schools honors program. Extracurricular:

2 years of Thesis Research in Vitamin A
800+ Volunteer Hours as an EMT
Started Breast Cancer Club at my school
Club Tennis
Tutor

MCAT - 30 11, 10, 9

Schools applied to include, GW, NYMC, PSU, Loyola, UIC and others with averages of around 30. Holds received from PSU, VCU, Drexel. Rejected from Georgetown and BU. Should I be getting worried about interviews or is there still time. I know I applied a little bit late and this may be affecting me. Should I send updates to the hold schools telling them my continued interest.

Members don't see this ad.

Your combo of kind of low grades and a below-average MCAT (for matriculants) makes you a borderline candidate, but your EC's are strong. I can't see why you wouldn't at least get a couple interviews this cycle. Don't freak yet.

Applying late means you'll be considered later. I must say, I'm surprised Drexel put you on hold, but at least they didn't outright reject you. I think letters of interest are in order, but as it's only been a month since you were complete, I''d wait until end of the semester grades are in (I'm presuming you're still a student). The weak point of your application is your GPA and reporting good news there will reassure med schools that you have what it takes to do well in their curriculum, if they're on the cusp in their decision-making process.

Did several reviewers say your Personal Statement is a compelling story? Did you get any feedback on how positive your Letters of Recommedation are?

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering your grades and GPA, I wouldn't be worried just yet. "Over a month ago" doesn't mean anyone's seen your app for sure yet considering how late you applied. Furthermore, your lower-than-average stats mean you're likely to hear from schools later in the season. You're going to have to be patient.

Applying late means you'll be considered later. I must say, I'm surprised Drexel put you on hold, but at least they didn't outright reject you. I think letters of interest are in order, but as it's only been a month since you were complete, I''d wait until end of the semester grades are in (I'm presuming you're still a student). The weak point of your application is your GPA and reporting good news there will reassure med schools that you have what it takes to do well in their curriculum, if they're on the cusp in their decision-making process.

Did several reviewers say your Personal Statement is a compelling story? Did you get any feedback on how positive your Letters of Recommedation are?

I did not get any feedback on my PS but it turned out well and I thought it gave them an idea of what I was about. Should I send my grades from the semester even if they are not spectacular. That is to say if get at 3.6 is it worth sending them?

Should I send my grades from the semester even if they are not spectacular. That is to say if get at 3.6 is it worth sending them?

There is no reason to include information in an update letter that doesn't enhance your application. I''d say include it if your GPA is 3.6 or better, specifically naming science courses and the grade you got.

I don't think it would be a bad idea for you to call the schools you are on hold at. Maybe see if you could talk to the admissions people. If not send a letter indicating your continued interest. Hang in there man. Your ECs are good. Schools will notice that.

I appreciate the advice everyone. Hopefully something happens soon.

Yea I think I am going to send a letter, just wasn't sure if it would matter at this point. What are you supposed to say in a letter? I am still interested, you are my first choice, etc?

Ok cool. I will definitely do that. Thanks a lot. Good luck with your waiting too man. This process is killing me. But it'll turn out well for everyone.