Time to give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ReTry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied ridiculously late for medical schools (mid to late December); I've got no response from the UCs (except one rejection from UCI), and a couple out of state interviews. I just wanted to know what the odds are that I'd get any more interviews at this point from UC schools or out of state for that matter...cause it's really starting to feel hopeless at this point...

Stats: 34, 3.7, research/shadowing/community service

Thanks people.

Members don't see this ad.

So I applied ridiculously late for medical schools (mid to late December);

Theres your problem.

Try again next year

Hey, at least you have interviews. Be thankful for that. The UC's are probably hopeless at this point. Just try your best at the interviews you have and i'm sure you'll get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree lateness is HUGE, even with good stats like yours. I applied once before--primary July, secondaries November--and got no interviews. This time I applied early--primary June, secondaries August--and got four.

But I agree about feeling lucky for out of state interviews.. A small part of med school is where you're at but a lot is what you make of it. Plus there are lots of kids who didn't get ANY interviews.

I understand that applying late is terrible and a real disadvantage...but if you have interviews, why are you throwing in the towel? I applied late, I have two interviews. Would I have had more if I had gotten my AMCAS in on time? Of course..but my 2 interviews can still turn into acceptances.

I am starting to think about my reapplication, so that in the event that I have to reapply, I can avoid this. I personally choose not to give up before I have all 14 rejections in hand. Why so doomsday?

A small part of med school is where you're at but a lot is what you make of it. Plus there are lots of kids who didn't get ANY interviews.

Here, here!
:thumbup:

Hey, at least you have interviews. Be thankful for that. The UC's are probably hopeless at this point. Just try your best at the interviews you have and i'm sure you'll get in.

I'd try again next year. Don't settle for a school that isn't a good fit for you in any case. You've probably got the numbers to be able to get a wide variety of acceptances next year to choose from.