Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Time to give up?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ReTry, Feb 16, 2007.

1. ReTry

2+ Year Member

So I applied ridiculously late for medical schools (mid to late December); I've got no response from the UCs (except one rejection from UCI), and a couple out of state interviews. I just wanted to know what the odds are that I'd get any more interviews at this point from UC schools or out of state for that matter...cause it's really starting to feel hopeless at this point...

Stats: 34, 3.7, research/shadowing/community service

Thanks people.

2. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Theres your problem.

Try again next year

3. Daydreamer2008

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey, at least you have interviews. Be thankful for that. The UC's are probably hopeless at this point. Just try your best at the interviews you have and i'm sure you'll get in.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Shpamme

Shpamme status pages confuse me.
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I agree lateness is HUGE, even with good stats like yours. I applied once before--primary July, secondaries November--and got no interviews. This time I applied early--primary June, secondaries August--and got four.

But I agree about feeling lucky for out of state interviews.. A small part of med school is where you're at but a lot is what you make of it. Plus there are lots of kids who didn't get ANY interviews.

5. MChitty

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I understand that applying late is terrible and a real disadvantage...but if you have interviews, why are you throwing in the towel? I applied late, I have two interviews. Would I have had more if I had gotten my AMCAS in on time? Of course..but my 2 interviews can still turn into acceptances.

I am starting to think about my reapplication, so that in the event that I have to reapply, I can avoid this. I personally choose not to give up before I have all 14 rejections in hand. Why so doomsday?

6. Nomemory

Nomemory Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Here, here!
    :thumbup:

7. Wizard of Oz

Wizard of Oz Guest

Medical Student
    I'd try again next year. Don't settle for a school that isn't a good fit for you in any case. You've probably got the numbers to be able to get a wide variety of acceptances next year to choose from.