Time to move on......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slptodoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well,
As expected, I received my polite rejection notice without even seeing a secondary. EVMS is screening (for any of you in question) and my
score put me right in the "OUT" bin!

It was not any surprise whatsoever......

I'm just glad I have closure now and can quit being silly, "hoping" when I get my mail each day.

Now I just have to work on regaining my confidence and drive to put myself through all of this craziness again next year! UGH!

I think I'm going to wait and take the MCAT in August and give myself next summer to work hard
(I'm taking Ochem right now and need to concentrate on that!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!)

:) I am really thankful to all of you who have been so very supportive and encouraging!!! I KNOW that I will continue to lean on the shoulders of my fellow SDNr's throughout the ongoing pursuit of med school!

I sincerely wish all of you guys GREAT luck in your interviews and look forward to seeing some more success stories! It certainly has helped keep me motivated!

Well, back to studying!
L :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey slptodoc: You are certainly my new hero. I envy your committment and determination. If only more people could think like you, the world wouldn't be such a Bia bia! But hey I wish you the best. You'll make a great doc. Keep doing what you're doing.

Hi SLP!

Haven't seen you post for a while. Sorry about your rejection--was this the only school you applied to?

With your background, you know the ONLY thing holding you back is the damned MCAT. I remember from previous posts that you were scoring straight 9s on practice tests, but stumbled on test day. I think this is good news, because it shows you are capable of good scores! All you need to do is a solid mid-twenties MCAT to get you over any numbers cut off.

OK, go ahead and wait for August and do whatever else you need to do to feel prepared for your next try. But more importantly, get into the right mind-set. Your practice tests (if you took them under standardized conditions) show that you CAN do well. I think you just get nervous on the "big day."

I remember your posts from October really clearly and have been thinking about your situation on and off ever since. You seem like such a great person, and I know you will make an excellent doc. The rest of your application must be stellar! So I really mean it--ALL that's holding you back is the TEST, and all you need is a mid-twenties score--something you have already shown you are easily capable of!

I know you'll make it! You Rock! Now go Rock that MCAT! C'mon girl (or guy?), show that bitch who's boss!

Members don't see this ad :)
SLP, I think racergirl said it all. Don't give up and keep your head held high. You have 9 months to study for the August MCAT so put your study plan together this weekend. Outline your weak areas and decide on how you plan to tackle them. Go hit amazon.com and search for MCAT prep materials... consider using different modalities. They have flash card sets, audio tapes, you name it. Good luck and keep posting... :) dh

Slptodoc,

Don't give up! This is my second year applying, and while I have questioned that numerous times (why couldn't we just submit AMCAS apps on disk in the mail again?!?!), I am glad I have done it. I have improved almost everything on my application from last year to this year, so if you can think of things to improve, go for it. And good luck next year :)

I can't even imagine applying to only one school! I applied to 25 and most of my friends were into the mid thirties. It's a whole lot cheaper to do this only one time.

SLP,

I must agree completely with Baylor21. With the kind of perseverence you have, you have demonstrated to all of us, that you have the most important personality traits to become an excellent physician. I hope next time, medical schools get to see that side of you as well.

Don't worry about blowing the MCATs once. Try and try harder. With more practice, and more stamina, you'll rock the MCATs and show those damned med schools what they are missing out on, if they decide to send you the rejection. You're the kind of person I would love to call my colleague some day, and the kind of person I would not hesitate taking my sick child to, any day. So all that remains on your part is to pull the stats, pass the bureaucracy... after that, it's all going to be a picnic for you.

I hope to meet you when you are an MD!

oh man, this is sad. i hear you... however, if its just the test holding you back--well, at least you know what it is that is holding you back and can work on improving it!!

slptodoc ,
Dont worry you are not alone I am with you in the same boat .We will make it, if not this year next year.
Goodluck,
Optimistic

slptodoc,

I also had a bad first-time score (April,2001) because I messed up and was sick on the test day, but I perservered and improved my score seven points in August. YOU CAN DO IT!!! Use the talent and the determination that I know you possess to kick the MCAT's butt! You have to tell yourself that you are worth it and that you can do it, no matter what. I went into the August test with a little nervousness, but once I got there I made myself relax. I also suggest taking the test at a different site to put you in a different frame of mind. I did and it made me much more relaxed. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Originally posted by luckyduck:
•slptodoc,

I went into the August test with a little nervousness, but once I got there I made myself relax. I also suggest taking the test at a different site to put you in a different frame of mind. I did and it made me much more relaxed. •••

Good Idea!!!

Originally posted by luckyduck:
•slptodoc,

I went into the August test with a little nervousness, but once I got there I made myself relax. I also suggest taking the test at a different site to put you in a different frame of mind. I did and it made me much more relaxed. •••

Good Idea!!!

You guys are the BEST!
Thanks for all of the nice comments!!!!
It would be soooo cool if we were all classmates and/or collegues one day!

Honestly, if all of the docs out there had the
same degree of compassion, encouragement and certainly perserverance that the SDNr's have, the perception of medicine would significantly turn around!!!!!!

Thanks again!!! :)
L