Time to start thinking about my options- help me out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustwantDDS

DrAMG
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright- well I haven't gotten any interviews yet- and I most likely wont....:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( so I applied to a masters program in Bio- nonthesis- and was accepted.

Now the real question in my mind is for this upcoming spring- should I take classes at my UG university? Or start my masters- which I'd hope to finish in 3 semesters (30 credits)

I do need a science GPA boost, and by just taking classes i think it would only boost me about .05 with 9 credits of As. Is that worth it???? Since the app reopens in June- I'd like to have a better GPA/ or show some type of GPA improvement.... and I'm not sure how much a post bacc could help?

+ I'll retake the DATs....18TS/18AA/19PAT is not cutting it. :(

Please- for those of you who've completed a masters and had success or post bac and had success post and let me know!! I need all the advice I can get!

Members don't see this ad.

Justwantdds,
what is your gpa/sci gpa now? If i were you, id start my masters asap. Are you planning on applying again this coming summer again? Or are you going to wait until youve totally finnished your masters? (as in summer '12)
I'd say taking 9 credits worth of classes is not worth the money as if will not affect your gpa......basically at all (Im assuming you have an ample amount of science credits from undergrad). So just start your masters, do great and start studying for your DAT again. if you plan on reapplying this summer, then study study and take it soon. get it all done/ready by june.
also if you can say (or if you dont want to thats ok too), what state are you doing this masters program in? I ask because im potentially trying to find a 1 yr non thesis based masters as well in my area.
thanks!

I would start on your Masters right away if you can instead of taking more post-bacc courses. If you re-apply next summer, you'll be able to show adcoms you are serious about dental schools and will have a much more improved application (assuming you ace your classes). Plus, AADSAS will calculate a separate graduate GPA, which some schools may weigh more than your undergrad. A downside is that a lot of dental schools won't consider you until you have completed your Masters. Applying next summer with just one semester of graduate credits isn't going to magically get you interviews, and you may have to wait until summer 2012 to apply. But then again this all depends on your application (GPA, DAT scores, etc), so if you're borderline, I would still suggest you try applying next summer, because you never know what can happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's really no magic answer, but obviously the above posts are leading you in the right direction. Only you know how competitive your application is...compared to the rest of the applicant pool. I would shoot for a 20+ the next time you take your DAT. Assuming your GPA is decent (3.5+), you may not really need to do a Master's program. Also, pay close attention the next time you apply to what the schools you apply to like most. For example, if you have a super high GPA and low DAT scores, apply accordingly to schools that fit that "mold" of applicant. You need to figure out something to make your application stand out. I did this with my life story, it's very unique (I will not get into it, but the adcoms were impressed from what I hear). Just think about it, schools get thousands of applications from people that have superb scores and GPAs and such. Make your application different IN A GOOD WAY. Best wishes and all the best to you. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

sci GPA 3.1, cumGPA 3.4, non sci 4.0

I've been accepted to a 30 cred bio masters @ Towson...

should I go for it? :-/

sci GPA 3.1, cumGPA 3.4, non sci 4.0

I've been accepted to a 30 cred bio masters @ Towson...

should I go for it? :-/

When does it start? This spring semester or do you have to wait until next Fall? Either way, I would definitely go for it. Although your GPA isn't terrible, your science GPA is on the low side and this Masters program will definitely help improve your application (granted you do well). Also, if you don't start until next Fall, I don't think re-applying next cycle will do much good if you don't have any improvements to show academically. Otherwise, you can always re-take the DAT if you feel you can do better.

it starts Spring
my question is- will this help me? do i need a GPA boost or DAT boost?

Should I just sit my @$$ down and study for DATs or go for masters?