Time to Track and the DBT Coaching Phone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmjdondante

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy everyone, I am interested to see how those logging APPIC hours in Time to Track have tracked their time on a DBT Coaching phone? My gut is that it is indirect hours....somewhere and I want to know how others have logged those hours in the past.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you asked the person ostensibly supervising you in providing DBT?

What about the consultation group?

Yes and Yes. I am just asking around to see how other folks have calculated it in the past. The DBT clinic is a newer external practicum site and the owner (my DBT supervisor for now), is a Master's level clinician that hasn't dealt with T2T before.

Trying to see where others have tracked those hours (if they have at all) in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied for internship in 2012 (oh my, writing that makes me feel old) all phone hours counted as support. Not sure if anything has changed with APPIC since then. Even at that time, people were being screwed out of good telehealth hours.

As far as T2T, I always used an excel file cause I was cheap. But it really wouldn't make much of a difference if it is all categorized as support hours till this day.

On the bright side, It will count, non-numerically, when you go out for interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think hours supervised by an MA level clinician count on T2T.

Yes and Yes. I am just asking around to see how other folks have calculated it in the past. The DBT clinic is a newer external practicum site and the owner (my DBT supervisor for now), is a Master's level clinician that hasn't dealt with T2T before.

Trying to see where others have tracked those hours (if they have at all) in the past.

As HK328 noted, the issue is bigger than whether these are considered direct contact vs. support hours. I'd be careful about how and where you are claiming direct contact and supervision hours at this site at all (including individual therapy and skills groups) if your supervisor isn't a licensed psychologist.

Does your program know that your supervisor isn't a psychologist? You should really consult your program about this, especially as APPIC requires your DCT to verify your hours before you can submit them for internship apps. You may run into a conflict down the road where you've been counting hours (both direct contact and supervision) that you shouldn't be and your program may not endorse them. This could really throw off your tally of hours you need to apply to internship sites and make less competitive or even put you under the required minimum hours at some sites.

I have supervision with a doctoral level supervision within the program for the work done here. The masters level, licensed clinician, is on site supervision.As far as I can see the APPIC hours need to be supervised by (according to the APPIC instructions pdf for the supervision received section): "For the purposes of this section, supervision can be provided by licensed psychologists, licensed allied mental health providers (e.g., social workers, marriage and family therapists, psychiatrists), and advanced doctoral students whose supervision is supervised by a licensed psychologist."

I appreciate the concern in this area, I would further answers to the original question at hand.