Time to write personal statement...where to begin??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MandaGoose

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been putting this off, but now I have my Dean's meeting next week, and I have to have a draft of the personal statement. I have no where to begin...I feel especially bad because I just recently made up my mind to go into EM and so I am not a member of the EM interest group at school...although I did just join the national groups...but I did work in the ED during undergrad as a nurse assistant for 3 years.

I spent most of my 3 years in med school focusing on Pediatrics, and my resume shows it too, being Pres of the interest group, ect.

Also, should I address my Step I failure? I dont know what to say there either... "im just a bad test taker??"

Any advice?

Thanks
Manda

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't focus on any negatives.

Some ideas:

Focus on why you want to do EM. What was it recently that made you interested?!

Perhaps your interest in Peds can be put in a good light... that you feel comfortable seeing peds to geriatrics... <shrug>

Talk about one experience you had while a CNA in the ED that really made you hot and heavy for EM.

One Asst. PD told me she liked stories that mentioned what it was like to "be a patietn" and that's why they became a doctor. <shrug>

Talk about how you hate rounding.

Q, DO

Hmm. i need to start writing the personal statement too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again! You are just so full of GREAT info, even as an intern!

I talked to the Dean of Students, and she def said to talk about my experience in the ED as a CNA. Ill leave out the Step I thing for now b/c I am going to ROCK Step 2 on WED!!