Timeline -- advice/suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am applying mid-June and I want to leave the country for a couple months after that. Is this a bad idea?

Should I instead stay in the US to wait for the first available interview/secondary app, etc. so I can finish those as quickly as possible?

I have a sinking feeling that the next year (in which I will not be in school) will be sort of a swampy process rather than a definable sequence of events.

I would really appreciate some advice about this!! While creating good applications is my priority I do not want to obsess about them or go overboard. What is a reasonable sort of timeline to adhere to? Should I DEFINITELY be in the U.S. during specific months?

Sam

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Sahmbo- I would not worry too much. I know lots of guys that are studying/doing research abroad, including me, and we're not too worried. The majority of secondaries are completed online and those that aren't can usually be completed through fax. As long as you're back by september or so, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thx for the advice!!

So do you plan on filling out secondaries online and by fax or will you wait until you get back?

tennisguy896 said:
Hi Sahmbo- I would not worry too much. I know lots of guys that are studying/doing research abroad, including me, and we're not too worried. The majority of secondaries are completed online and those that aren't can usually be completed through fax. As long as you're back by september or so, you shouldn't have any problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sahmbo said:
Thx for the advice!!

So do you plan on filling out secondaries online and by fax or will you wait until you get back?

I'll be back in August, so I figure I'll just enjoy myself June-July and then finish my secondaries when I get back in August. There is not a big advantage to getting your secondaries in before August since interviews don't usually start until September/October. If you'll be abroad during August, then I would get some of the secondaries done online.

Sahmbo said:
I am applying mid-June and I want to leave the country for a couple months after that. Is this a bad idea?
Not a problem as long as you're someplace where you have access to the internet, especially your e-mail account. AMCAS doesn't even transmit verified data to schools until around the 10th of July. Your first secondaries will probably be granted to you just about the time you get home. If you do get a secondary early, however, you need to be able to get it turned around quickly - and if you're not using a letter service like Interfolio for your letters, I would recommend that. You'll want to check the internet frequently for AMCAS updates to be sure that nothing has "hung" in the verification process.
I would not leave the country until AMCAS has acknowledged receipt of your transcripts, however.

Hmm. What is interfolio all about?

THANKS a lot for your help!

Non-TradTulsa said:
Not a problem as long as you're someplace where you have access to the internet, especially your e-mail account. AMCAS doesn't even transmit verified data to schools until around the 10th of July. Your first secondaries will probably be granted to you just about the time you get home. If you do get a secondary early, however, you need to be able to get it turned around quickly - and if you're not using a letter service like Interfolio for your letters, I would recommend that. You'll want to check the internet frequently for AMCAS updates to be sure that nothing has "hung" in the verification process.
I would not leave the country until AMCAS has acknowledged receipt of your transcripts, however.

Yeah, good point. Definitely be aware of the deadlines for secondaries- they vary. You won't get some secondaries until late summer- depends on whether they screen. Interfolio collects your LORs and sends them out for you- at a charge. I'm not using it b/c I trust my recommenders more than Interfolio, but I haven't heard of people having any problems with interfolio.

I trust my recommenders more than...

I did that once, 10 years ago. It was for an early assurance program. I'm not saying I would have gotten the guaranteed slot into medical school, although my file was competitive. I just wish I'd been less naive because I was short one LOR when the files were closed and so I wasn't reviewed. The check is always in the mail. :rolleyes:

Ah, good times. Nothing like learning things the hard way.