Jul 30, 2009
Houston
Status
Medical Student
I will be a sophomore this year at my current university. I just wanted to get a feel of when you guys took the MCAT and applied to medschool. MUCH MUCH THANKS TO YOU ALL

1) When did you take your MCAT?
2) When did you apply?

THANKS

red10

7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2009
Status
Medical Student
MCAT: End of April (a little earlier than most but it was during my spring break so I had lots of time to study without school stresses)

AMCAS verified: 6/25 (submitted a few days before)

Started getting secondaries: July 1st

bearforce

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2008
Hometown: Upstate NY,
Status
Pre-Medical
check out my md apps to answer this question, also that website has many more who uploaded their progress through the application cycle.

FuSoYa

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
if you wanna be like the other SDN'ers, have your AMCAS primary ready in June (pref opening day if you can, but def by mid-June cuz it takes a while to verify).

This means you'll want to have your MCAT scores before then, so like April/May latest.

Secondaries will start piling up your mailbox in July, again, if you wanna be like SDN people you'll start sending out secondaries in July, but I think August is fine too.

Another big thing, do not wait on asking for letters of rec. Some profs can be very lazy about this, esp if they don't know you and have 20 other students asking for letters. The last thing you want is to have all your apps ready, but EVERYTHING is on hold because of ONE letter. Schools will not even look at your secondary until everything is in. So get those LOR set up early.

edit: one more thing, make sure you understand how your school handles LOR requests. I sat down with my advisor for a good hour to fully understand the process and make sure there were no delays. They are your best friends... them plus SDN people.