Timeline for applying to Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Molly Maquire

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,

I have a question about the residency application process. I am a third year currently trying to set up my schedule for the first six months of next year.

The problem is that I'm still trying to decide between a few specialties, and I don't know if I can take electives in all of them before September 1, when I have to get my ERAS application in.

The question is, how much of the application do I actually have to submit on Sept. 1? I know that the Dean's letter dosen't go out until November 1. Do I have to submit the letters of recommendation at the initial application, or can I submit them as they become available?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

September 1 is not a deadline but simply when applications may first be uploaded. Therefore, you can submit your application information at any time, as long as it is before INDIVIDUAL program deadlines (ie, surgery programs often set November 1 as their application deadline - for everything to be in).

I'm not convinced that there is any advantage (as opposed to medical school) to having all your information in early.

For Emergency Medicine there is an absolute advantage to having at least your CAF and some letters in by Sept 1, so it depends on what you're applying to. The minimum you can upload to "apply" is the Common Application File (CAF) which is basically your CV. Step 1 grades help.

Casey

there IS an advantage for having your materials in early. I submitted all of my materials and on the 1st available date this year, sept 2nd. i had everything scanned, steps 1 and 2, csa, transcripts, etc. i received most of my interview invites by the middle of october! get your stuff in early!

I submitted my application on September 5th, with some LORs missing, and got nearly half my PM&R interview offers (14 in total) within the first month and a half. Definitely send your ERAS application early. Most programs look at your application right away and make decisions to interview you. Get your ERAS application in before October. It seems that many programs, depending on specialty, do not highly value the dean's letter. You don't want to mess up one of the most events in your medical school career.

Originally posted by Molly Maquire
The question is, how much of the application do I actually have to submit on Sept. 1?... Do I have to submit the letters of recommendation at the initial application, or can I submit them as they become available?

Can anyone comment on this issue regarding WHEN letters of recommendations need to be submitted?

Oh definately get your application in as soon as possible. I would say you're safe if within the first few weeks of September. Programs do invite applicants for interviews early and do not wait for their "so called" deadline date. I know my program had most of the interview invites done by mid October. If you were to wait until say the end of October to apply and you were fantastic, there might not be an interview slot for you. Try to get those LOR and personal statements in quick, but even if you don't have these, make sure you at least apply with your transcript and USMLE scores in the beginning of September.

Thanks, guys.

Hey Vlad,

Did you ever find a good place to do a Neurology elective? I'm a NYCOM student and I remember you asking about North Shore. Did you do it there and how was it??

Thanks.

Originally posted by Molly Maquire
Thanks, guys.

Hey Vlad,

Did you ever find a good place to do a Neurology elective? I'm a NYCOM student and I remember you asking about North Shore. Did you do it there and how was it??

Thanks.

Molly,

I've decided to do my neurology selective at North Shore. I am scheduled to do in February. I'll tell you more about it later. I heard that LIJ's program is even better but I've heard North Shore isn't bad either. Next to finishing all of my interviews, I am really looking forward to the neurology rotation. Due to all my traveling to interviews as well as doing outside PM&R rotation in NJ and DC, I just wanted to stay on the Island to do a neuro rotation. LIJ , North Shore, or Stony Brook are your best bet. The former two are probably better. Avoid NUMC for neuro because you will learn nothing at that mess of a hospital.

When it comes to setting up rotations, get the paperwork in for the outside rotations a few months ahead of time.

Have you decided what field that you want to go into? Feel free o PM me.