Timeline for Army HPSP student interested in OS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@armydentalstudent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, I'm a D2 and I've been thinking about what I want to do, and OS is becoming more and more interesting for me after dental school, but I'm not quite sure when I should do things to be prepared. I heard doing an externship is important, but when and how can I apply to do one? Also, I heard the board meets in August, so would you apply in the August at the start of your D4 year or after you already graduated? Could you do both?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Join the Military Dentistry group on Facebook and ask about externship opportunities. I'm pretty sure you will get the names of program directors and you can ask them if you can visit the program.
You need to have your application submitted by early August of your D4 year, but you can also apply the following year. You start residency two years after acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI Army was not able to fill all slots this year for OMS.
Oh wow, where are you able to obtain info like this? I attended a presentation and they said that they accept around 50% of OS applications with an average CBSE score of 188. But if somehow they can't fill all of their seats, wouldn't doing average or above average on the CBSE give you a really good chance?

Oh wow, where are you able to obtain info like this? I attended a presentation and they said that they accept around 50% of OS applications with an average CBSE score of 188. But if somehow they can't fill all of their seats, wouldn't doing average or above average on the CBSE give you a really good chance?

We were recently briefed, yes last year's average was 188. In general: 165 minimum, 200+ very good chance at selection. 6-7 slots went unfilled.

My assumption is big Army didn't have enough OMS applicants, not because applicants didn't meet stand their standards. Why? Because HPSP held a second speciality board during the last cycle.

There was also talks of a 6-year MD/DMD position, so it is possible, however the payback is different.

And yes, do a OMS externship if you can.

We were recently briefed, yes last year's average was 188. In general: 165 minimum, 200+ very good chance at selection. 6-7 slots went unfilled.

My assumption is big Army didn't have enough OMS applicants, not because applicants didn't meet stand their standards. Why? Because HPSP held a second speciality board during the last cycle.

There was also talks of a 6-year MD/DMD position, so it is possible, however the payback is different.

And yes, do a OMS externship if you can.
Great info! Are you talking about an Army program MD/DMD? As it is right now the Army has agreements with civ programs with UT San Antonio and UT Houston for people who want the 6 year. This is the only MD degree option. The catch is you owe 9 years payback afterwards. That's a non-starter for me. You’re essentially signing a 15 year contract without really knowing if you’ll like the military lol. If there was a military 6 year with less payback time I would consider it.

Last edited:
To be clear, if you are in the National Guard under a Medical / Dental Student Stipend Program you are unable to apply for an OMS residency correct? You would first have to apply for a conditional release to active duty and then apply for OMS once on active duty. Making it at least three years before starting the residency?

To be clear, if you are in the National Guard under a Medical / Dental Student Stipend Program you are unable to apply for an OMS residency correct? You would first have to apply for a conditional release to active duty and then apply for OMS once on active duty. Making it at least three years before starting the residency?
From everything I've seen you must be active duty to apply to a DoD residency. For Qs like that you should ask the dental education offices for each branch

Reactions: 1 user
Join the Military Dentistry group on Facebook and ask about externship opportunities. I'm pretty sure you will get the names of program directors and you can ask them if you can visit the program.
You need to have your application submitted by early August of your D4 year, but you can also apply the following year. You start residency two years after acceptance.

Do you mean residency acceptees start the OMS program in the second year of HPSP payback time?
I wonder if the OMS acceptees must spend a total of 1yr(before residency) + 4yrs residency + 4yr(after residency) as a total of 9 yrs in the Army??

Do you mean residency acceptees start the OMS program in the second year of HPSP payback time?
I wonder if the OMS acceptees must spend a total of 1yr(before residency) + 4yrs residency + 4yr(after residency) as a total of 9 yrs in the Army??
Yes, it's a commitment of 9 years. Or you can just do your 4 and apply to civilian OS programs. There is a high likelihood you won't be doing much clinically after finishing an Army OS residency

It’s usually a 9yr commitment like you laid out and that’s if you get accepted while still in dental school. There have been some people who got to skip that snowbird year for an 8yr commitment but it’s usually involved extenuating circumstances like the resident who was supposed to start ahead of them backing out. Hard to make happen unless DCC and BOLC completed while in dental school

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, it's a commitment of 9 years. Or you can just do your 4 and apply to civilian OS programs. There is a high likelihood you won't be doing much clinically after finishing an Army OS residency
Thank you for the info

It’s usually a 9yr commitment like you laid out and that’s if you get accepted while still in dental school. There have been some people who got to skip that snowbird year for an 8yr commitment but it’s usually involved extenuating circumstances like the resident who was supposed to start ahead of them backing out. Hard to make happen unless DCC and BOLC completed while in dental school
Thank you for your answer

If I complete DCC during the summer vacation of Dental School and finish BOLC right after graduation, can I join residency without a snowbird year? will I take just 8yrs instead of 9 yrs anyway? or 9y commitment just routine for all OMS acceptees?? If I join the Army and enjoy life, 8yrs or 9yrs won`t be much different but I guess it still should be clarified.

If I complete DCC during the summer vacation of Dental School and finish BOLC right after graduation, can I join residency without a snowbird year? will I take just 8yrs instead of 9 yrs anyway? or 9y commitment just routine for all OMS acceptees?? If I join the Army and enjoy life, 8yrs or 9yrs won`t be much different but I guess it still should be clarified.

8 years is a rare occasion but expect 9 even if you have bolc under your belt