Timeline for letters of rec for ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devildoc2

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year med student, going to do the 2007-2008 NRMP match.

I've got a problem. My school assigned me to take all my basic clerkships in a row, which consist of peds, IM, psych, neuro, optho, EM, ambulatory med, and ob/gyn.

This block will take me all the way out until next November. Now i was under the impression that you need to have all your letters of rec lined up before Oct/Nov so you can send them out to programs.

thats going to be impossible for me, because I wont be able to compete any SubIs until late November at the earliest. I can still get some letters of rec from one of my basic rotations, but is that enough to make my application somewhat competitive?

I was planning to do IM, and I will have completed peds and a family practice rotation this year. Can I use peds and FP letters to apply for IM or does it have to be strictly IM letters?

How necessary are SubI letters at the beginning of the ERAS cycle? Can I just send them in later and be OK, or will the lack of SubI letters by November automatically put me at a huge disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

You DEFINETELY can get LORs from your basic rotations. I got 2 of them. You can get one from your IM, EM, amb med rotation for an IM residency. You can also get one from the others too as backups. You are never guaranteed a LOR from a SubI.

devildoc2 said:

I've got a problem. My school assigned me to take all my basic clerkships in a row, which consist of peds, IM, psych, neuro, optho, EM, ambulatory med, and ob/gyn.

This block will take me all the way out until next November. Now i was under the impression that you need to have all your letters of rec lined up before Oct/Nov so you can send them out to programs.

thats going to be impossible for me, because I wont be able to compete any SubIs until late November at the earliest. I can still get some letters of rec from one of my basic rotations, but is that enough to make my application somewhat competitive?

I was planning to do IM, and I will have completed peds and a family practice rotation this year. Can I use peds and FP letters to apply for IM or does it have to be strictly IM letters?

How necessary are SubI letters at the beginning of the ERAS cycle? Can I just send them in later and be OK, or will the lack of SubI letters by November automatically put me at a huge disadvantage?

I'm confused. Are you a third year going into the 2008 match, or a fourth year going into the 2007 match?

Are you saying you'r already scheduled for the next 17 months?

Throughout the year, ask any attending you get along well with -- from any specialty and any rotation -- to submit a LOR for you to the dean's office. There is no requirement that LORs come from sub-i's.

You generally need 3 LORs (ERAS allows you to upload 4). It's helpful for one of those to come from an attending in your specialty of choice (i.e. pediatrician if going into peds), but in reality the letters can come from any specialty as long as it's from an attending physician (not a resident).

It's probably better to have 1-2 letters ready to go when you submit your ERAS application in September. The "official" deadline varies by residency program but it's generally Nov 1, so technically you have until the deadline to submit any trailing or late LORs.

devildoc2 said: