Timeline for licensure by reciprocity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pediatric_psydoc

Board Certified Child and Adolescent Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have relocated for a job in a different state and the different state has confirmed reciprocity with your current home state, how long did that process take?

I am awaiting the specifics on an offer from out of state, and I am pleased to say this job is my first choice. I had given me an idea of the salary before I interviewed, and the range was acceptable given my experience and the cost of living per the research I’ve done. However, I do not want to pursue licensure until I have heard the exact compensation, including the relocation package because this is very very far from where I currently live. I’d prefer not to pursue licensure until I have signed the offer letter, ideally.

I have been told the credentialing process once I accept will be 90-120 days. And who knows how long that may be pushed if the licensing takes awhile.

I am able to stay at my current job during the credentialing time, but my family and I need to vacate the house I am renting at the end of September because the owner wants to sell it. They have already agreed to extend the lease two months (originally was end of July).

I appreciate any thoughts from people with similar experiences. I am unable to get thoughts from the psychologists I know because I am not talking with colleagues about this until I give my notice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Each state will be different bc each state has their own process, some better/worse than others. Some have written and/or oral exams too, which can add time to the process.

Each state will be different bc each state has their own process, some better/worse than others. Some have written and/or oral exams too, which can add time to the process.

Thanks for your reply. This one has a written exam that is open book and on the computer, so I would be able to take it here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no personal or even second-hand experience with this, so take everything I say with a large grain of salt. I've heard that, in general, reciprocity is one of the longer/longest licensure paths to pursue. HOWEVER, that's in the context of you needing to establish reciprocity rather than the board having already confirmed reciprocity. I have to imagine with reciprocity already being established, licensure wouldn't take much, if at all, longer than whatever the "normal" timeline is. In which case I would think 90-120 days should be enough to complete the process.

I know you've said you want to wait until you have an offer to move forward with licensure, but if you have the fee to spare, you might consider just starting the application process now. Worst-case, you withdraw your application and are out the fee, or you get to add an extra state's licensure to your CV (at least for a year or two).

Best of luck.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd warn you too that some states may not grant you reciprocity. I moved to a state where my old license was not considered eligible for reciprocity, and had to apply as a new licensee.

I'd warn you too that some states may not grant you reciprocity. I moved to a state where my old license was not considered eligible for reciprocity, and had to apply as a new licensee.

I have heard those stories before and they sound stressful. This state lists states with which it has reciprocity and my current state is on the list, and it also accepts the National Health Service Psychologist credential so I have that as a back up as well.

For those of you who have relocated for a job in a different state and the different state has confirmed reciprocity with your current home state, how long did that process take?

I am awaiting the specifics on an offer from out of state, and I am pleased to say this job is my first choice. I had given me an idea of the salary before I interviewed, and the range was acceptable given my experience and the cost of living per the research I’ve done. However, I do not want to pursue licensure until I have heard the exact compensation, including the relocation package because this is very very far from where I currently live. I’d prefer not to pursue licensure until I have signed the offer letter, ideally.

I have been told the credentialing process once I accept will be 90-120 days. And who knows how long that may be pushed if the licensing takes awhile.

I am able to stay at my current job during the credentialing time, but my family and I need to vacate the house I am renting at the end of September because the owner wants to sell it. They have already agreed to extend the lease two months (originally was end of July).

I appreciate any thoughts from people with similar experiences. I am unable to get thoughts from the psychologists I know because I am not talking with colleagues about this until I give my notice
The licensure process in my second state (with reciprocity) took about 4-5 months start to finish. They accepted all my hours and experience, EPPP score, etc. All I had to do was get approved to take the state jurisprudence exam. 2 months (and several phone calls) before my app was processed and I was approved to take jurisprudence exam. 1.5 months wait for next avaialbe test administration. Another month or so (and some more phone calls) before test results confirmed and licensure granted. From what I heard, that was a pretty typical- if not better- experience than most folks have had.

To update this thread for anyone else who has this question in the future: here is a timeline. I was granted the license yesterday (September 13).

Sent completed application July 11
Approved to take jurisprudence July 24
Took the jurisprudence July 25th
Fingerprint cards sent in mail to me July 30
Informed I passed jurisprudence August 8
I receive in mail fingerprint cards to complete August 9
Completed fingerprinting August 10
Board received my fingerprint card in mail August 18
License granted September 13

Reactions: 1 users