Timeline for NRSA preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perhaps11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am about to begin the torturous process of applying for an NRSA fellowship and I am aware of the different annual deadlines. My questions: For those of you who have submitted before, what kind of timeline do you think is appropriate for preparing and submitting an NRSA grant app? Is it realistic to shoot for the December deadline if I am just now beginning to work out the details of my research idea, methodology, and all that jazz? My adviser seems to think so, but I would love some additional input from others.

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted a NRSA last August. I started reading about potential ideas in the spring and worked diligently all summer on the application. I think you'll have enough time to make the December deadline. Just remember that you'll likely have multiple drafts of your pertinent documents (Aims, Research Strategy). Also, your advisor should have some sections (Facilities, Equipment) already completed if they've completed grant applications of their own, so you'll just need to tweek those for your own needs.

I created a calendar with deadlines for specific sections that helped keep me on track and helped my advisor know when to expect items from me. Good luck with your application!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, Szymk1sm! This is very helpful (and encouraging)! :)