Timeline for reapplication (when admission this cycle is still an option)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshuaaw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like a lot of you out there, I'm kind of in a bind. Any advice or input would be much appreciated!

As it stands currently, I am holding 4 waitlists from the 2015-2016 cycle (1 high priority, 1 middle tier, 2 unspecified). I had originally thought that my chances were relatively good (3.75 GPA, 36 MCAT, solid extra-curriculars), but I suppose I should be kicking myself right now for not adequately preparing for the possibility of needing to reapply. Obviously, there's still plenty of time to get an acceptance offer in this cycle, but now that Traffic day has passed uneventfully, I'm understandably concerned.

I currently don't really have anything different to add to my application (there are a few small things, but nothing significant), so I was thinking about trying to volunteer abroad in June or early July. This would give me something different to talk about in my AMCAS app, but I'm worried about the timeline. Realistically, if I do this I won't submit until mid-July at the earliest. I'm not sure if that would be too late, especially for a reapplicant.

Any advice? Also a concern is the huge amount of money I would waste on AMCAS/secondaries if I do end up getting accepted this cycle in late July/early August. Is there anyone in my situation who waited until July/August to reapply and were successfully accepted the following cycle?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

With those stats, I don't think it's unreasonable that you expected to be accepted on your first go-round. That being said, there is something wrong with your app that needs to be addressed. It sounds like you got plenty of interviews, so I'm wondering if the issue is that you're not an effective interviewee. Did you prepare well for interviews, such as by having someone mock interview you and reading up on each school before you went? If you are a still a student, your college career center probably has someone who can mock interview you. If you're out of school and working, see if your supervisor, or anyone else you know who has experience with interviewing and hiring job candidates, would be willing to mock interview you. Let this person know that you want them to critique your ability to explain your answers to common questions such as why medicine, why school X, and discussing your ECs. Also, pay attention to your body language. It is important to look people in the eye, smile, and shake hands so that you come across as likable and confident. Finally, many schools now use a mini-interview format analogous to speed dating, so you should practice interviewing in this style as well.

FWIW, I don't think a volunteer vacation abroad will do much to help your app. You didn't say what your ECs were, but again, given that you had at least four interviews, they were probably adequate. And I'm not a big proponent of these trips anyway, especially if the main purpose is to improve your record of service and strengthen your app. You're probably better off joining toastmasters and practicing your public speaking skills.

With those stats, I don't think it's unreasonable that you expected to be accepted on your first go-round. That being said, there is something wrong with your app that needs to be addressed. It sounds like you got plenty of interviews, so I'm wondering if the issue is that you're not an effective interviewee. Did you prepare well for interviews, such as by having someone mock interview you and reading up on each school before you went? If you are a still a student, your college career center probably has someone who can mock interview you. If you're out of school and working, see if your supervisor, or anyone else you know who has experience with interviewing and hiring job candidates, would be willing to mock interview you. Let this person know that you want them to critique your ability to explain your answers to common questions such as why medicine, why school X, and discussing your ECs. Also, pay attention to your body language. It is important to look people in the eye, smile, and shake hands so that you come across as likable and confident. Finally, many schools now use a mini-interview format analogous to speed dating, so you should practice interviewing in this style as well.

FWIW, I don't think a volunteer vacation abroad will do much to help your app. You didn't say what your ECs were, but again, given that you had at least four interviews, they were probably adequate. And I'm not a big proponent of these trips anyway, especially if the main purpose is to improve your record of service and strengthen your app. You're probably better off joining toastmasters and practicing your public speaking skills.

Thanks for the reply! I'm honestly not exactly sure why I'm in this boat. I'm normally a pretty good interviewer; I've actually been offered almost every job I've interviewed for. I did a mock interview for my med school interviews (in hindsight I probably should have done more) and prepared extensively for them, and I thought all of them went pretty well. I didn't think that I bombed any of them, but I still got waitlisted at every place I interviewed at.

As far as the volunteering abroad, it's actually something that I've always wanted to do, but never did because money was a deterrent. But I agree that I'm not sure how much it will help my application (I already have a lot of community service/volunteer work). I'm really just worried because I don't want to reapply without anything significantly different on my application. Does anyone have any thoughts on reapplying without a huge difference in activities?