Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Timeline for taking the "Boards", can someone help me?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Slash, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Slash

Slash Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just got into dental school and am trying to understand a lot of things. I know there is Part I of the Boards and Part II also. At what point in your dental education do you take these gruesome tests? And do certain schools allow you more time to study for these tests than others, in which case you need to choose your school wisely if you care to to do well on the boards to specialize?

Thanks for all help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.Brutus

Dr.Brutus Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    At most schools, Part I is taken at the end of the second year. Some take it after the first year. Part II is taken during your fourth year.

I don't know about other schools, but at Ohio State we got three weeks off between Spring and Summer Quarter to study.

4. bwyeth

bwyeth Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i don't think that there are any dental schools that don't want their students to excel on the boards. the students performance is a direct reflection on the school. as such, i would imagine most schools give ample time to study.

5. jk5177

jk5177 Just Kidding
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    All you've stated is true, and that i would also imagine tat most schools give ample time to study. At UCLA, they give us two weeks, so I've heard, and that is... (fill in your blank because I don't know what to say.)

6. dinesh

dinesh Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    IS their somewhere I can get a syllabus for this>? Or would the books have ?
    Sorry to asking this in your thread, didn't see the need to repost just to ask a question :)
    MY school uses a 5 year system instead though.

7. JMoney

JMoney Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

How much time does Arizona give?? Do you have to take them after your first year at Arizona?

8. bwyeth

bwyeth Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    we had just about every wednesday afternoon off 2nd semester for board study, and several random days a month until the end of may. then, we had a kaplan course over the course of a week in mid-june, and 3 weeks or so off before the boards in july. it seemed to be enough time for most of the class. there were a lot of "specialty level" scores.

9. Rezdawg

Rezdawg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    BU...Take the boards in December of 2nd year. 2 weeks off before exam is taken.