Timeline Help Por Favor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldunk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:sleep:so i'm pretty new to this forum but i've been reading a couple posts. while many were informative i'd have to say they offer very little solace considering my current situation as a predent. i really want to apply and get this process over with so i can put that whole chapter of "aspiring to get in" behind me. and like any man with a plan i don't want to proceed blindly. to business. i need some help in terms of where my timeline should be. any help in answering the following would be much appreciated.

stats: grad '07, 1 year dental intern, 2 year clinical volunteer, 3 years research lab; 3.46 overall and 3.59 bio GPA; have yet to take the DAT

1. regardin' the ps. how much leeway do i have in letting my true self shine in this paper? i have a sense of humor that hinges on witty and sarcastic, would this be a good arena to voice that or save it for a future dentista? and in the same light can this humor spill over to into the actual app. I've seen that they ask you what things do you do require dexterity and in all honesty can i stick in things like: flossing, manual prophy 2xd, wii mote.

2. can i turn in my app before i take the DAT because i know there is that gap where we need to wait for the app to process and i was wondering if this gives me a safety time to study more before taking the plunge.

3. i got about 5 recs. two of which are pretty much madlibs by sci teachers, one dental, one research and i'm wondering should get a rec from my clinical research or would that be frowned upon?

thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

De nada. I will answer this questions more with my opinion and what I have been told by certain ADCOMs...for whatever this is worth.

1. Though I deny it, I have been told by too many that I have a sarcastic sense of humor. While it doesn't offend everyone, and I try to smile when used, some people I am certain are put off by this even if they don't act it. A PS is NOT the time to let your sarcastic sense of humor loose. Of course at times, it may be able to work in your favor, any joke that isn't intellectual or well planned that you stick in your PS could be certain death. I wouldn't risk it even if you think it is cute or witty. Others may NOT agree.

2. Yes, you can but I don't think this is the best way to do it. You don't want to have your app looked at just to have it put on the bottom of the stack until your DAT scores arrive. This clearly doesn't happen at all the schools if you are a very strong candidate but it is also a possibility. They won't make a decision often without having your DAT scores in front of them so they can compare you to the rest of the pool. If I were you, I'd have my package all together and apply at latest June 1. If you can't take the DAT that soon, you have no choice but the sooner you take it, the better off you will be.

3. I had 6 LORs but some schools place limits. In my opinion, 5 is good if one is from a clinical researcher that you spent a lot of time with. I had 3 LORs from my clinical research (prostate cancer work in the Dept. of Medicine of a cancer hospital) experience. It was looked at very positively at least by my interviewers.

Good luck.

De nada. I will answer this questions more with my opinion and what I have been told by certain ADCOMs...for whatever this is worth.

1. Though I deny it, I have been told by too many that I have a sarcastic sense of humor. While it doesn't offend everyone, and I try to smile when used, some people I am certain are put off by this even if they don't act it. A PS is NOT the time to let your sarcastic sense of humor loose. Of course at times, it may be able to work in your favor, any joke that isn't intellectual or well planned that you stick in your PS could be certain death. I wouldn't risk it even if you think it is cute or witty. Others may NOT agree.

2. Yes, you can but I don't think this is the best way to do it. You don't want to have your app looked at just to have it put on the bottom of the stack until your DAT scores arrive. This clearly doesn't happen at all the schools if you are a very strong candidate but it is also a possibility. They won't make a decision often without having your DAT scores in front of them so they can compare you to the rest of the pool. If I were you, I'd have my package all together and apply at latest June 1. If you can't take the DAT that soon, you have no choice but the sooner you take it, the better off you will be.

3. I had 6 LORs but some schools place limits. In my opinion, 5 is good if one is from a clinical researcher that you spent a lot of time with. I had 3 LORs from my clinical research (prostate cancer work in the Dept. of Medicine of a cancer hospital) experience. It was looked at very positively at least by my interviewers.

Good luck.

That answers all your questions, but I was wondering why you have a bio gpa? Is that actually sci gpa and thats what you meant?
Save your humor for the interview, but be cautious even there.
And don't forget being witty can be offensive/arrogant. Not call you these things but just saying it can APPEAR that way.

it's my gpa in biological sciences, how do i calculate this in conjunction with my physical science gpa?