timeline of events-applying for 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Konfetka

Sveta
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for 2007 and I wanted an estimate about when I should do/start what in terms of AADSAS. When should I register? When should I send in my transcript, personal statement, etc.? Also, when did most of you take your DAT? I'm hoping to take it in March but I'm also thinking that a month of studying during the summer will also be very beneficial.

Members don't see this ad.

Come on help me out guys. Pretty please with a cherry on top.

id use the search tool to look up that question...the timeline is the same year after year...its probably been asked and answered...also check out some d-school websites, most have some kind of outline on their websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
The AADSAS app should open in mid-May. Get it done as soon as possible. Taking the DAT in March would be great, if you wait until the summer that's ok too, but I wouldn't wait any longer than early August so that it doesn't impact your chances of getting interview invites. The sooner you get everything done, the better your chances. Remember, AADSAS is slow with everything, especially LORs in my opinion.

Dr. Konfetka said:
I'm applying for 2007 and I wanted an estimate about when I should do/start what in terms of AADSAS. When should I register? When should I send in my transcript, personal statement, etc.? Also, when did most of you take your DAT? I'm hoping to take it in March but I'm also thinking that a month of studying during the summer will also be very beneficial.

AADSAS' application will become available mid May and you should register then (if you do so earlier it will be for this current cycle's application). Send in your transcripts and LOR's, along with the correct matching forms, around this period as well (or whenever they become available). In regards to your personal statement, don't underestimate it's importance. Adcoms often turn to that for a glimpse into a candidate's personality and motivation when making decisions about who to interview, and more importantly, who to accept. My advice is to start on it now and work on it over the next few months (remember, Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is a good personal statement). You can take the DAT pretty much any day of the year. I took about six weeks off after I was done with school before I took the exam so that I could brush up on a few topics. The timing of the DAT isn't as critical as AADSAS (which moves at the speed of sludge, as you will find out) because the ADA sends out your scores electronically as well as via snail mail right after you finish with the exam. With that said, I don't think taking a month off for studying is a bad idea at all. Best of luck in the coming months! :thumbup:

adr12 said:
The AADSAS app should open in mid-May. Get it done as soon as possible. Taking the DAT in March would be great, if you wait until the summer that's ok too, but I wouldn't wait any longer than early August so that it doesn't impact your chances of getting interview invites. The sooner you get everything done, the better your chances. Remember, AADSAS is slow with everything, especially LORs in my opinion.

Hi there, I have a related question....I will take a few summer courses this may, they are easy courses that can actually raise my GPA so since they end in august, will I still be considered for an interview in the first round? Also, how does it work with grades/courses in the fall (that end in december) of the year (2006) previous to the year (2007) that you apply for? When will the committee get a chance to look at them? Anyways, I wanna nail my summer courses so plz anyone help :D !

Thanks in advance,

Marcia

Are the schools going to keep my LORs for the next year? I might not get in this cycle and will have to apply for the 2007 cycle. I really dont want to go through the whole getting LORs again. Does anyone know? In general do they hold on to your application if you ask them to do so?

ive posted a reply to this q before, so ill justcopy and paste.

June 1st is fairly early, which is good, especially if you're advisor is a *****. Start asking now for letters of recommendation from old professors. Each school is different about collecting these. At my school, there is a pre-health advising committee that all the letters are sent to. After they received my letters, I arranged an interview with them and they wrote a committee letter. They mailed the committee letter and letters of rec. DIRECTLY to the schools (which REALLY helps not going through AADSAS). Most schools say they prefer getting them through AADSAS, but none complained about getting mine separately and they seemed to get them A LOT faster. Having them sent directly to the schools also helped me to avoid the problem of AADSAS losing the LOR's. If you do a quick search on here, you'll see that AADSAS loses some of the LOR's and that can really put a hold on your application.

Ok, on to step 2. If you haven't already, take the DAT by mid-may. You can take this any day of the year pretty much. It's offered on a computer at various testing centers. The AADSAS website offers information on where to register and such for that.

Step 3. Mid-May-Start filling out the AADSAS application. It's online so they don't send it to you. If you want to have your app. submitted on June 1st, this leaves you 2 weeks to fill out the app. Have ALL college transcripts sent to AADSAS in mid-may. This helps cut down on waiting time as well. You can start working on your personal statement now so that you have it ready when you fill out the app.

Step 4. June 1st. Submit application. Have your advisor send in LOR's. Make sure DAT scores are being sent to all schools you are applying at. Wait forever ("4-8 weeks" but mine took 9 weeks and others took even longer) for AADSAS to process your app. If you get it in the beginning of June, it will probably take less time because most applicants wait til late-July through Sept. to submit apps.

You'll probably start getting secondary applications (some schools have another small app. to fill out) and fees in the mail. Send these back ASAP. A couple weeks later, you will probably hear about interviews. This timeline varies though. I submitted my app. in late July, had it sent to schools late Sept., heard from schools the first week of Oct. about fees, and then about 2 weeks later I got interviews. All 4 of my interviews were scheduled for November (I then rescheduled one of my last choices). On December 1st, dental schools start letting people know if they were accepted! The first batch of acceptees has about 45 days to accept the offer, then the schools lets others know if they were accepted. This cycle repeats until the class is full.

For now, you have time to strengthen your app. Get shadowing hours in, work on your personal statement, study for the DAT (buy a Kaplan book), and research schools. Researching schools and figuring out which are the best fit for you before applying can save you a lot of money in the long run. There's more info here https://aadsas.adea.org/aadsas2006/logon.html. Good luck!