Timeline of Residency Application Process (P4 year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

motownpharmer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone give a brief timeline of the steps they took for the residency application process during their P4 year?

I just got my P4 rotation schedule which will be starting in May and I need help planning my steps towards residency. I have my off-rotation in January-early Feb which will be good for interviews but I am worried that during the months leading up to that point, my rotations will be too time-consuming to work on my apps. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a brief timeline jotted down in regards to pre-midyear, midyear, and applications that i will post once I get to my home computer... will edit this post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Can anyone give a brief timeline of the steps they took for the residency application process during their P4 year?

I just got my P4 rotation schedule which will be starting in May and I need help planning my steps towards residency. I have my off-rotation in January-early Feb which will be good for interviews but I am worried that during the months leading up to that point, my rotations will be too time-consuming to work on my apps. Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks so much!

My steps towards residency this year:

October-started researching programs, had several mentors review my CV
November-contacted programs and attended state residency showcase
December-attended Midyear and submitted my applications
January-prepped for interviews

Rotations can be very time consuming but a residency candidate should be able to handle working on applications while being on rotation.

Hi,

Thanks so much!

My steps towards residency this year:

October-started researching programs, had several mentors review my CV
November-contacted programs and attended state residency showcase
December-attended Midyear and submitted my applications
January-prepped for interviews

Rotations can be very time consuming but a residency candidate should be able to handle working on applications while being on rotation.

Thanks so much! Yeah, I agree with you. Just trying to plan my work around my easier/less time-consuming rotations.

For me it went something like this,

August-October: get turned down for multiple jobs. begin to despair being unemployed. decide to enter ASHP clinical skills competition at school (can't go to Midyear unless I can go for free), talk to profs about if I have any business even applying to residency programs, decide to apply to residencies
November: start making plans to attend Midyear, start researching programs that have my interest areas
Early December: go to Midyear, talk to selected programs
Mid-December: write letters of intent, polish up CV, get rec letters
Late December: submit apps
Late Jan-Early Feb: interviews

Mine maybe a little on the earlier side but I was planning to be out of the country for an extended period so everything had to be in order super early. But here ya go:

July/August
---Submitted abstract to mid-year
---Put together first draft CV
--Started Researching PGY-1 Programs ( mostly to tailor goals/activities during APPEs to make sure I get all the experience sites need and are looking for)

September:
No residency stuff, on my block off did volunteering abroad (hence why I started a little early)

October:
--Sent CV to preceptors/preceptors for feedback (needed a "polished" one before signing up for PPS)
---Signed up for PPS (yes places interview PGY-1s at PPS and I think it is TOTALLY worth for those looking out of state. You get 30 minutes all to yourself with the program director to make a memorable impression)
----Started letter of intent (generic) and received feedback from preceptors.
----***ASKED FOR RECOMMENDATION LETTERS*** If you get good letter writers chances are they will be swamped by other students in November-December. The earlier you ask the better (apps are usually due around Christmas/New Year).
---Opened PHorCAS account

November:
----Polished CV for Mid-Year from previous feedback(Mostly for PPS interviews, not the Residency Showcase).
----Read up on my list of programs I wanted to visit at the showcase towards the end of November.

December: With everything taken care of did PPS interviews, breezed through the showcase...and got to ENJOY Vegas.
After mid-year, tailored generic letter of intent to each of the 8 programs I applied to and submitted a CV. Very painless since it was all done beforehand, maybe some minor tweaks.

Residency Pathway

Before Midyear:
Have programs picked out and pros/cons of each.
Question list for all residency programs
CareerPharm and PPS
i. Upload CV
ii. Contact residency directors that will be attending
Buy a suit
Buy a portfolio
Buy nice paper to print CV and bring 20 copies
Schedule of events
Thank you notes?

Midyear:
Attend residency showcase
Attend PPS