Timeline to apply for dental scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstead245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to apply to dental school next cycle and want to have everything ready. My question is can you give me the general timeline on when to apply to a dental scholarship to either the navy,air force, or army? Also how competitive is it? How do they pick which applicant they want when all are accepted into d school? I have plenty of time to prepare so would like to apply early as possible to improve my odds to either navy/airforce then army.

Members don't see this ad.

You can start getting the paperwork done during the summer the year you are applying as well as go to MEPS for your physical, etc. (I didn't start until early October and I still had time). Your packet won't be complete until you get a dental school acceptance, so the earliest it will be done is Dec. 2nd of next year, but again complete everything by then and you'll be set. Once you receive a LOA, your packet will go to board review usually starting January (for Army and Navy, I believe AF doesn't start until around March) and there's typically a board meeting once every 2-4 weeks depending on how many packets get passed through each time. The scholarship is pretty competitive now, and I'm pretty sure for the Army at least, all 70 scholarships were awarded during the first board. For minimum competitive stats, you should have at least around a 3.5 GPA and 19 AA.

That does not look good for me. They pick you based on your gpa? I assume that if you are good enough to get into dental school they will most likely choose you. my gpa isn't very good, looking around 3.0 gpa but plan on boosting it through post bac... Having 400 k in loans looming over my head makes me think alot longer if I want dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
That does not look good for me. They pick you based on your gpa? I assume that if you are good enough to get into dental school they will most likely choose you. my gpa isn't very good, looking around 3.0 gpa but plan on boosting it through post bac... Having 400 k in loans looming over my head makes me think alot longer if I want dentistry.

It can be extremely competitive. People with near 4.0 and 21+ DATs get rejected every year for the 4-year Air Force. You can read more about it on my blog if you want, I go into detail about all your questions. (Usafdds.blogspot.com)

i know for airforce its very competitive, but how about navy and army? Is it really competitive? honestly if I can't get the scholarship, it makes me reconsider the profession. Being 400k in debt does not sound good

i know for airforce its very competitive, but how about navy and army? Is it really competitive? honestly if I can't get the scholarship, it makes me reconsider the profession. Being 400k in debt does not sound good

Yes, it is now; not as competitive as Air Force because there are more spots, but last cycle I saw plenty of people with above average stats not receive the scholarship even when they were in the first board review for both Army and Navy.

do u know how competitive getting a military scholarship for optometry is?

Is a state school not an option? Surely you can find something for less than 400k.

Navy is less competitive and Army a little less competitive than Navy.

why is the air force considered to be more competitive?

I have a 3.6 overall and a 21 AA, 22 TS, how would I fare, in your honest opinion?