1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Timing and breaks on the actual MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by creativekat, Dec 23, 2008.

1. creativekat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So on the real thing, if I finish a section early, can I just go on to the next one or do I have to wait until everyone is done?

Also, if I decide to take the optional 10 min break, do I have to be on break for the entire 10 minutes or can I just start the next section after, say, 5 minutes?

Sorry for the silly questions! TIA!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can start the next section whenever you want. I strongly suggest you take the full 10 minute break. However, if you take a break, you aren't forced to sit for 10 minutes. You can use 5 minutes and get back to it.

4. junkct

5+ Year Member

yeah, it's basically like a practice exam. you're on your own pace (except obviously you can't pause in the middle and can't take more than 10 min during the break). This can be annoying though, since people who are ahead of you could be doing the writing section while you're still on VR, so you'll be listening to the annoying clacking of the keyboards :oops:

5. Marjan Islam

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I heard you get EARMUFFS or something? How are they? I'm particularly sensitive to noise, so I was wondering if they'll allow me to bring earplugs? Or do these earmuffs do the trick? (are comfortable and block out the noise!)

6. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can use their earmuffs. I thought they were good, pretty comfortable and blocked out the noise well. Be sure to get there early so you can be one of the first ones to start so that you do not have someone typing while you are doing your verbal. I had someone banging on their keys next to me and it distracted me during mine. I still got a 10 but I think I could have gotten a 11 without that. :mad:

My center would not allow earplugs. Hell, they would not even allow me to use my own "lucky" pencil.

Also, you can have more than 10 minute breaks. If you go over the 10 minutes, it does not go on to the next section until you click the button.

7. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    At my center the earmuffs were horrible. They had a kind of seashell effect and actually amplified the noise around me. On top of that, they were incredibly uncomfortable. Additionally, they would not allow me to go over the 10 minutes. When I got close, one of them told me to get over there now or I'd be in trouble. In other words, they basically threatened to report me. The take home message here is that every center is different.

8. futuredoctor10

Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My center's earmuffs were really bad, plastic-y, uncomfortable and I took them off because it was easier to concentrate WITHOUT them on!

So it must vary center to center.

9. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I guess I got a decent center then! :cool:

10. futuredoctor10

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah... plus the monitors at my center were really old and had somewhat low refresh rates so the screen would flicker every few secs. Luckily I got used to it after a while.

11. luxaeterna

5+ Year Member

Did you guys get those orange earmuffs? I loved those things; I wanted to take mine home. Despite a bit of pressure I felt with them on, they did an awesome job of blocking out noise.

edit: also, maybe this was just my test center, but I wasn't allowed to take off my jacket inside the testing area at all, not even to hang it on the back of my chair. I thought that was kind of ridiculous.

#10 luxaeterna, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  12. creativekat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hmmm...I guess I'll have to ask someone who has taken a test at that center for all of those earmuff/screen/clothing questions. Haha

Unless someone here has taken it in San Diego before.

13. 229141

Pre-Medical
    OH NO does this mean I have to go 5 hours without protein!? :'(

14. G1SG2

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For those of you that used the earmuffs-did you use them/something similar during your practice exams, or was that the first time you actually used them?

15. futuredoctor10

Resident [Any Field]
    First time I used them. It might have helped to practice with earmuffs, but, the earmuffs I own have the foam material over the years and are comfortable. (So even if I had used mine, they wouldn't replicate the plastic uncomfortable AAMC earmuffs)

16. Steako

Steako Forgot about D.R.E.
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had the foam ones. The center had the plastic ones, but they were not made available.

It'd be a good idea to practice with earplugs/headphones so you get a feel for what they'll feel like before you go in.