Timing Clock on the Actual Step 1 Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bt9099

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys quick question.

Where is the clock located on the screen of the exam?

Is it exactly like the UW screen where you see the clock running down in the upper left corner of the screen, right above the question?

I find this very distracting becuase I keep catching the clock in my peripheral vision and it throws me off. Is there any distance from the clock to the words of the question to help avoid this?

Alternatively, on the practice NBMEs I remember you could keep the lab values open, and in doing so, the right half of the screen is covered with the lab value chart and this cuts down the question length in half horizontally...this helped me becuase the clock was now on the upper right corner of the screen above the lab values, and out of my peripheral view...anybody know if this is available on the actual test?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Guys quick question.

Where is the clock located on the screen of the exam?

Is it exactly like the UW screen where you see the clock running down in the upper left corner of the screen, right above the question?

I find this very distracting becuase I keep catching the clock in my peripheral vision and it throws me off. Is there any distance from the clock to the words of the question to help avoid this?

Alternatively, on the practice NBMEs I remember you could keep the lab values open, and in doing so, the right half of the screen is covered with the lab value chart and this cuts down the question length in half horizontally...this helped me becuase the clock was now on the upper right corner of the screen above the lab values, and out of my peripheral view...anybody know if this is available on the actual test?

Thanks!!!

You will have two clocks on the upper left hand side. One, with the total amount of time left, including your break time, and right below that, another with the amount of time left per section.

I kept my breaks to a minimum, so I really only focused on the second clock.