SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Timing of Audition Elective

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Rendar5, May 29, 2008.

1. Rendar5

Rendar5 10+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2003
    I'm trying to do an audition EM elective at an out-of-state program that I'm interested in and applied for a block over the summer. I'm not looking for an LoR, just looking to increase my chances of getting an interview there. I just heard back today that those blocks are full, and that the earliest available one is in November. I also have the option of doing an EM-tox rotation over the summer there instead. I honestly feel that I can do a great job in a regular EM rotation, but I have doubts about a tox rotation. I don't have much experience in toxicology, and its not the most interesting part of EM for me. I'd still give it my all in a rotation though.

Anyone have any useful advice or suggestions?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. nymbarra

nymbarra In flux 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2008
    November may be a little late, unless you really want to go to that place. The reason is that even if you don't expect a SLOR, you will want one in any EM rotation you do well in. And if you get it from a Nov rotation, you're looking at a letter coming out in Jan!

Tox can definitely come in handy, and doing it at that place may make you 'known' among the faculty and residents, especially if you are able to go to the q weekly or so EM rotation conference for students.

I didn't have any SLORs from tox, but I'm sure any strong EM LOR would be helpful.

PM if you have any questions.
  4. crewmaster1

crewmaster1 Nattitwo 10+ Year Member

Jul 26, 2005
    The Great Northwest
    November is probably fine. I think it is early enough in the season that even if you didn't get an initial interview invite, if you are there and doing well they will still have plenty of time to invite you. Some programs don't even send out invites until the very end of Nov anyways. Tox sounds interesting, but you are correct it may be hard to shine if that isn't your thing.
  5. WallowaWanderer

WallowaWanderer 2+ Year Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I did an EM audition in December and interviewed towards the end of the month. Some places have a policy of interviewing everyone they rotate and will go ahead and send you an invite if you are scheduled for a rotation. Even tough December is not ideal because it's late in the year, people are on vacation, minds elsewhere, etc - I still felt like I was able to get to know enough people to improve my match chances. The later you rotate, the less other students there are to "compete" with for those choice shifts with the chief or PD.

It is highly advisable to do one audition in the fall, however, so that you can get a SLOR outside your home program.

Most programs hold wait lists, and use them.
  6. BADMD

BADMD Physician 10+ Year Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Depending on how the rotation is structured, the Tox rotation may give very little contact with the decision makers that you want be in contact with. If we knew the location you're are talking about, it might help a bit.
  7. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon 7+ Year Member

May 1, 2006
    November is probably too late for a letter but if all you're doing is trying to get in good at that particular program than really anything before and including January is fine.

EM-tox could be interesting and get you good exposure to the faculty but I can't see how it could result in a SLOR. Plus some places do their Tox offsite so you'd want to check on that. The place I matched has pretty strong Tox but that's partly because they go somewhere else to do it.
  8. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2006
    I did an EM-Tox rotation. It was great because I got to pull some EM shifts (enough to get a letter), and did some tox. The reading was immense, but I learned a lot.
    I recommend doing it last though, or maybe even in the middle, because as mentioned, more than 2 rotations where you are laid out on the line trying to get a SLOR is brutal. Learning entirely new systems, figuring out how to act in front of certain people, etc.

November isn't too late for a letter. It might not get you more interviews, but it can help your ranking/pulling you off of waitlists.
  9. Rendar5

Rendar5 10+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I tried to see if the november rotation could be done but I discovered their block schedule and my school's monthly schedule puts us off by 2 weeks and nothing could be accomodated. I'm going to see if I can do the tox rotation over the summer, and I just hope that there's enough ED exposure in it for me. The rotation is over at UPitt if anyone was interested.
  10. EBKame

EBKame Member 10+ Year Member

Sep 13, 2004
    If you're looking for a flexible tox rotation, Cook County in Chicago was willing to work with whatever dates I suggested.