Timing of ERAS submission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jls34

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Sorry if this question has been asked before (the only related thread I could find is from 2002, so I'm not sure if things have changed since then). Given that the ERAS process is technically not "rolling", does it make any difference whether one submits his/her application on the first day ERAS opens vs. the day before the deadline?

The reason I ask is that I'm someone who is still actively considering 3 different fields, and don't anticipate being able to make a final decision until I'm finished rotating through them in the summer. This might make it difficult to have all of my letters of rec lined up and submitted by mid-September, and I'm not sure if it'll adversely affect my application to not have everything in until mid-late October. I'd really appreciate any info!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

don't let anything fool you. timing makes one helluva difference.

You're kind of posting this at a bad time since 2012 unmatched people are in the middle of SOAP right now, so they probably aren't looking at 2013 people yet.

Given that, from what I have gathered, it is important to turn in your application as soon as possible after ERAS opens (which for the 2013 class, which I'm a part of, will be Sept 15, not Sept 1). Programs will start offering interviews right off the bat in many specialties, and the later you apply, the less interview slots are open, and therefore the less chance you have of getting an interview.

Also a change for our class is the MSPE is going out Oct 1, not Nov 1 like it used to, so programs may wait the two weeks till Oct 1 to start handing out invites, or they may not. But to play it safe, apply on or close to Sept 15.

I've also gathered you don't need all your LORs in to submit ERAS, you can submit them as they come in, but you probably should have them all by Oct 1.

you dont need to have letters ready when you submit eras apps. submit asap when you have all other stuff ready.

Timing definitely matters to a degree. You do not need to be complete the second eras opens.

A good goal for the class of 2012 was to have submitted eras with everything but letters by Sep 15 (2 weeks after it opened), and to have everything in by the time the dean's letter was released.

True, but many programs will not start to look at your file until it is "complete" with 3-4 letters. So its better to have as many LORs in as soon as possible.

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful advice! I'll do my best to have everything ready to go as soon as I can.

I want to second (third?) the opinion that submitting early (and completing your app) is vitally important. Not only do many programs begin offering interviews early, but the ones that don't will often review, and offer interviews to, peoples' applications in the order that they were received. For instance, I submitted my app around Sept 7th last fall, and was complete by Oct 1st, and there was one program where I barely squeaked into an interview spot (only the last two dates were still open). Of note, I had an extremely competitive application and was offered interviews everywhere I applied.

early is key. Programs download files periodically, and offer interviews as they go. If you are in the early group they download, they have LOTS of interview spots open and thus you are more apt to get one. If you are in one of the last groups they download, they may only have 1 or 2 interview openings left with perhaps 200 people vying for them.

My 2 cents: have your application file ready to upload as soon as it is allowed by the system so programs can download it as early as possible. My personal experience: Case Western downloaded my file the 2nd day and sent me an invitation to interview a week later.