1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Timing of fast track entry into CAP

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Sophie, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Sophie

Sophie Lead Foot
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm trying to find out whether fast tracking into CAP fellowship must be done right after 3rd year, or just signifies starting fellowship prior to completing 4 years of residency, but I haven't been able to find this addressed anywhere.

I'm hoping to have a baby during 3rd year, and would like to take 3-4 months off (another resident at my program did this, so I know it's feasible). However, this will obviously require an extra 3-4 months be added to the end of my residency in order to make up the time. I am planning to do a child fellowship, and am wondering whether it would be possible to enter fellowship directly at the end of 4th year - having completed the 3 years required for fast track, plus a bonus 8-9 months, but still being 3-4 months shy of completing residency.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find the details on fast tracking rules?

Thank you. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TexasPhysician

Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You might be able to work it out at your home program, but setting this up elsewhere would probably be very difficult.

4. Sneezing

Sneezing Even Bears do it!
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Exactly. Your home program could take on the remaining four months after the fellowship if they wanted to work with you, but I would be amazed if you could find another program to do it.

5. Sophie

Sophie Lead Foot
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I had assumed it wouldn't affect the fellowship program at all, because I'd have completed the 3 years necessary to fast track so I'd be on the normal course, but maybe that was too simplistic. Oh well.

6. alina_s

alina_s Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't really think it would be a problem to "fast track" into a child program while you still owe only 4 months of your 4th year. Certainly talk to the programs before you invest the money in the application, but it seems to me like all of the rules about spending a minimum number of months in a given program were written to prevent a patchwork residency. You'd only need 4 months of that 4th year to fulfill the general residency requirements but you would still spend the full 24 months in the fellowship. I think that one of the fellows in my program did what you're talking about, and came from a different residency, and someone from the class behind me did that within the same school.

7. Sophie

Sophie Lead Foot
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thanks for the reply, alina! It's nice to hear about cases where it's worked. I emailed my program director to make an appointment to talk about it. We'll see what he says.

8. Sophie

Sophie Lead Foot
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    An update, just in case someone had the same question.

I met with my residency director the other day, and he stated in order to fast track you just have to have completed 36 months of residency. So it is completely feasible to take a few months off for maternity leave and then fast track into child fellowship at the end of 4th year without having completed all 48 months of residency.

9. Manicsleep

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes, but then you would but doing more than 60 months of residency. If you are ok with that it should be no problem.

10. milesed

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Fast track at my program was only for those doing first 3 years of general residency at taht program. I let them know my intent and it was done.

Others had to complete 4 years, interview and match.

Can't speak for any other program. Just call the child director and ask.