1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Timing of Interviews?

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by [email protected], Nov 26, 2002.

1. Jon@COMP

[email protected] Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

My question regards the timing of interviews. Is it better to interview for residency positions during the beginning, middle, or end of interview season? Is there any advantage to either and if so why? Or does it not matter? Appreciate your input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. stephcf

stephcf Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i've heard 2 different views.

1) interview early so you and the programs aren't burnt out. don't schedule your top choices first though, so you can get into the feel of things. many of the interviewers (and you!) will be tired of asking and answering the same questions by the end of the interview trail. i heard this from faculty who review applications.

2) interview late so you will be "fresh" in the programs minds. this is from iserson's book, so i'm not sure how accurate it may be. they say that programs tend to evaluate earlier candidates on a tougher scale because they are comparing you to the "ideal" candidate. later in the process they may be more generous, after seeing the actual candidates. i think this is assuming you're above average though.

personally, i think it doesn't matter too much either way. just whatever fits your schedule. i would say, after doing 3 interviews, you do get tired, so don't schedule your top choices at the very end. it's hard to be enthusiastic for 2 straight months after 30-something tours of hospitals.

4. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I don't think the timing really matters, and I think there was even an article for EM residencies that posed that question... and I believe there was no link to timing of interviews and likelihood of matching...

Although I think one thing definately needs to be mentioned... is that you should try to use your first and/or second interview as a practice interview... there is definately a huge learning curve with the interviews. For me, it took about two interviews, and now I am completely relaxed and probably even appear to be more relaxed, which is always good. I just interviewed Monday (my 4th interview), and there were people there that hadn't interviewed yet... and you could tell they were high strung.. Thankfully, EM interviews tend to be very laid back and informal (personality trait of many EM attendings)... so I am lucky that way too.