timing of LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I am a senior applying to medical schools in this upcoming cycle...I was wondering if it was ok to ask a professor whose class you're in for a recommendation before they've assigned a grade to you for the class (for timing purposes), assuming your work up to that point has been pretty solid. I am thinking about this in light of getting a rec before the end of next semester, so that I can get my committee process rolling and apply as early as possible. Thanks for your help guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I've been TOLD it's okay.. as long as you know you're going to get a good grade.. or at least give them a head's up.

I was going to do it for my neuromotor class.. but I decided against it because I saw my quiz grades fall fall fall.. dammit.. I had to go pay my tuition.. son of a bitch..

well what i would do if i were you....is to notify the professors around...march/april that you would love to have a recommendation from them for medical school. technically you dont need your LORs till about July-ish since it takes some time for AMCAS to process your primary application. and then you have to take into consideration the time it takes to get secondaries from schools and when you get those done....that time might be around the middle to end part of July and thats when you should have your LORs ready. Asking them in March/April still gives them a few months notice which is nice so they dont feel rushed doing this for you.

Make sure you have your personal statement for them to read ready. Hopefully you do well in the class so that you can send them a reminder for that LOR after the class ends.

Good luck this upcoming cycle...