Timing of Pre-Interview Updates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillrothI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I submitted my secondaries to several schools in July and August and have yet to hear back. Figured it might be a good time to send in an update letter. However, I won't begin filling the biggest hole in my application (research) until next month.

Would it be advisable to send in an update now or wait until January? I am concerned that January might be too late, but I'm not sure if the update I have now would be considered significant (several hundred more hours of clinical volunteering, a new job, and twenty more hours of physician shadowing).

Thanks!

-Bill R.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say a new job and additional volunteering/shadowing would definitely make for a solid update. Just make sure to play it up in your letter and to try to tie it back to how it specifically matches each the mission of each school. In terms of timing I was going to send another round of updates in a week or so before New Years, but of course this isn't a precise art by any means, haha. Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice, Wonton! I also took a few more classes and got straight A's, so maybe a quick paragraph or two might be a good idea at this point. Can't hurt, at least, and January may indeed be a little on the late side.

-Bill