Timing of Secondary Applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chajjohnson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I read on a thread last year that AMCAS does not send primary applications to schools until a certain date (around the end of June), so no one would recieve secondaries before then. Does anyone know if this is true/how it's usually done, and if so, when AMCAS will submit primaries this year? I stupidly planned a trip from June 8th to July 5th and likely won't be able to work on secondaries during that time, but if they aren't out yet, I won't need to worry (as much). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I read on a thread last year that AMCAS does not send primary applications to schools until a certain date (around the end of June), so no one would recieve secondaries before then. Does anyone know if this is true/how it's usually done, and if so, when AMCAS will submit primaries this year? I stupidly planned a trip from June 8th to July 5th and likely won't be able to work on secondaries during that time, but if they aren't out yet, I won't need to worry (as much). Thanks!

Yep, you'll start getting secondaries pretty much as soon as AMCAS transmits your application to schools (not sure what day it is this year). Your trip is actually perfect timing... the first secondaries will start rolling in right around the end of your trip. If you have time you can start pre-writing a lot of them (most secondaries don't change from year to year), although it really isn't necessary.

Just called AMCAS, they said primaries won't be sent out until June 28th this year. I assume that means secondaries won't come out until after that, which is perfect for me.