Timing of Step 2 CK and SF Match Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonoz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a quick question about the timing of step 2 CK and SFMatch submission.

I am a recent medical graduate taking a research year, I want to bolster my academic credentials by taking and crushing step 2 CK before or around the time of SFMatch opening. I would also think that submitting SFMatch as early as possible (when it opens in June) is also key. I was planning on taking step 2 CK in June.

My question is: should I take the test first and THEN submit my SFMatch application in mid-to-late June (and should I wait until my step 2 scores are released?) or should I give more importance to SFMatch submission in early June and THEN take my step 2 in late June (is it an easy process to update my application with my new step 2 score?)?

I hope my query is clear. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends what your Step I is. If it's high, and you want a second high score on your app to reiterate your success .. then Step 2 isn't so important because you already did well the first time around and that's all they truly care about. Also keep in mind the risk of not doing as well on Step 2 as on Step 1, which is why those with a high Step 1 don't take that risk, usually (however, if you crush it once again, it of course only helps ... you need to gauge the risk/benefit for yourself). If your Step 1 is lower and you are seeking a higher Step 2, then you may want to take your Step 2 earlier.

Submitting SFmatch at end of June is still a fine time, really into even middle/late July is still OK.

My experience: once the school downloads your app (and it is very hard to say when schools do that ... some probably +/- Sept 15 but honestly hard to say), if your Step 2 score isn't reflected on it, they will never see it or even care to ask (even if it is uploaded on your end, which yes, is a simple process, it's just not the hard copy of your application that programs end up with when reviewing apps to determine interview invites and on interview day). Your timeline is a bit confusing to me, but if you really want that Step 2 reflected, take it late may/early June, and submit your SF match by end of June/early July with your Step 2 score already out, then your timeline for submission is still good, and you guarantee schools seeing your Step 2. Submitting your app without your Step 2 score on it, risks the majority of schools not seeing it, even if you refresh it at a later date. One strategy is purposefully submitting your app before you get the score back, because that way lets say you don't like it, you don't have to upload it, but lets say you love it .. you upload it , with the risk of programs not actually seeing it. Hope this helps - bottom line: if you want to be sure programs saw it, have the raw score on your app before you submit.

If you want to have it on your app take it as early as possible

Members don't see this ad :)
If I take CK at beginning of June and receive my score before I submit my app is it automatically included or can I choose not to include it in my app? I'm hoping I do well enough that this isn't an issue but I was just curious if it is a matter of choice to include it or if it automatically gets included once it is available. Thanks!

If you request your USMLE score transcript and submit it before the score comes out, it won't be included. However, if you request after the score is released, you can't pick and choose which scores are on that official transcript