Timing of step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earsopen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter when I take this? I've heard that programs will not rank you without it, and that you just need to pass it before starting residency. Does anyone know for sure which it is? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Does it matter when I take this? I've heard that programs will not rank you without it, and that you just need to pass it before starting residency. Does anyone know for sure which it is? Thank you!

Depends on the program. Some places don’t care; others require the results to rank you. I think requiring it to rank is less common in EM than other specialties.

Speaking from experience, I suggest you take it with enough time to retake and get the 2nd set of results before rank lists are due. That way, if they need it, they have it. If you end up having to SOAP, you have a passing score on file.

Take it ASAP. Literally sign up for the earliest date available homey.

Members don't see this ad :)
sort of related... but are DOs taking this? I think it is a requirement to complete the CS before taking Step 3, but all the DOs I know just take the PE and therefore are not eligible to take the Step 3. I'm assuming they just take the Level 3? Just this have any effect on landing fellowships?

sort of related... but are DOs taking this? I think it is a requirement to complete the CS before taking Step 3, but all the DOs I know just take the PE and therefore are not eligible to take the Step 3. I'm assuming they just take the Level 3? Just this have any effect on landing fellowships?

I've never heard of Step 3 being needed for fellowship for DOs, especially EM fellowships which are pretty non-competitive. Everyone I've talked to said Level 3 is fine.

Take it immediately. So many stories of people like "welp not getting my score back in time to be ranked, will it matter?". Of course it will for some programs. It's crazy to me that people blow this exam off. I scheduled mine immediately and took it very early. Third and fourth year will only make you worse at SPs. I would honestly sign up the earliest possible date you could.

My Step 1 wasn't as strong as I wanted. I took Step 2 earlier so I could hopefully have a better score to improve my odds. It worked! My Step 2 was much improved and I got into my dream residency.