Timing of Step 2CK/CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gemzar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from a well-respected program in the NE, got HPs in all clerkships except psych which I honored in, scored 240 on Step I, have research experience and 2 pubs. I'm applying to categorical IM programs in the NE, mostly bigger academic programs. I have met with my advisory dean and medicine clerkship director who feel I am fairly competitive for the programs I have chosen, did not get a good idea about when I should plan my Step 2 Exams. My AD said to check each program's site to make sure they didn't have stipulations about CK/CS before ranking. None of them do.

I figure I can take CS sometime in the fall (I currently have it scheduled in Oct) and just get it out of the way, but am paranoid about taking Step 2CK and my score dropping from Step 1 and this influencing residency interviews. When is the latest I can take it, do you think programs would know what I'm trying to do and it would hurt me. Should I just suck it up and take sometime in Oct/Nov so the score will come back for some interviews/ranking? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from a well-respected program in the NE, got HPs in all clerkships except psych which I honored in, scored 240 on Step I, have research experience and 2 pubs. I'm applying to categorical IM programs in the NE, mostly bigger academic programs. I have met with my advisory dean and medicine clerkship director who feel I am fairly competitive for the programs I have chosen, did not get a good idea about when I should plan my Step 2 Exams. My AD said to check each program's site to make sure they didn't have stipulations about CK/CS before ranking. None of them do.

I figure I can take CS sometime in the fall (I currently have it scheduled in Oct) and just get it out of the way, but am paranoid about taking Step 2CK and my score dropping from Step 1 and this influencing residency interviews. When is the latest I can take it, do you think programs would know what I'm trying to do and it would hurt me. Should I just suck it up and take sometime in Oct/Nov so the score will come back for some interviews/ranking? Help!

You will gain almost nothing from taking Step 2CK now and stand to lose if you don't do as well as Step 1. Honestly, nobody will care that you went from 240 --> 255 but they will notice that you went from 240 -->225 or lower. Put it off until there's no chance it will show up on ERAS before rank lists are due.

I took mine on the absolute last date my med school let us take it. Scored about 20 points higher than Step 1, but not a big deal all things considered and not so high that it would have made or broken my chance anywhere I applied.