Timing of the MCAT, College course load while preparing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Judoka1210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have sent out a number of emails this week to admissions committees aking for some advice. At my college, the premed advisors aren't knowledgeable. The basic email I sent is as follows:
This semester, I am registered for a full course load, including physics II. I must schedule my MCATS for some time this spring or summer in order to be eligible to enter medical school in the fall of 2012. My questions concern when I should schedule the MCAT exam.
I was wondering if taking the MCATS in August is advisable for a 2012 admission. I am aware that the AMCAS primary application cycle begins on June 1, and I don't want to put myself at a disadvantage for an admission for 2012. I am wondering how much of a difference it would make if I took the exam in August versus late May or June?
My second concern is my course load. I didn't know if it was acceptable to take a lighter schedule this semester in preparation for the MCAT exam. I have been working while attending school and have been taking approximately 8 credits a semester. This past fall was the first time I had taken 16 credits in a long time. As of now, I am enrolled for 16 credits. However, I have been seriously considering reducing my course load to 12 or even 8 credits in order to allow myself more time to diligently prepare for the MCAT exam. In addition, should I complete physics II this semester or should I wait until I finish my MCATS as this is an extremely demanding course and will certainly detract from my exam study time?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Physics II may be demanding, but without it, you won't be nearly as successful on the MCAT. I think 12 credits is fine, but I wouldn't reduce it to 8. After all, wouldn't that not make you a part-time student?

Physics II may be demanding, but without it, you won't be nearly as successful on the MCAT. I think 12 credits is fine, but I wouldn't reduce it to 8. After all, wouldn't that not make you a part-time student?

Yes, it definitely would make me part-time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.