1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Timing on science sections

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by mddoc, Aug 9, 2006.

1. mddoc

mddoc New Member
    10+ Year Member

I have been working on improving my timing in the physical and biological science sections with little change. I am only able to get through half of the physical science questions and 60-65 of the questions in biological. If there anyone that consistently is able to finish relatively easily on the sections and could give me tips on pacing oneself throughout the test, the advice is greatly appreciated. Fortunately, I'm finishing verbal thanks to Ek's strategy, but I have been able have the same outcome with the sciences... I have tried the 27 minute rule but I still keep going over and fitting in the discretes is still difficult without running out of time. Thanks for reading this!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. doc G

doc G RESPECT MY AUTHORITA!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

where are you spending the most time?? Passages should be taking 2-4 min to read depending on complexity.....then 1 min per question ( some not even that long) ???? I always finish phy sci 2-3 min spare and 10 min in bio..I think you need to speed up the time on reading the passages and just read and ge through them....then spend the time on questions. Are you running out of time on AAMC practice tests??

4. stiffany

stiffany Hurry up and wait...
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I usually finish the physical sciences section with about 10 minutes to spare, the verbal section with between 5 and 15 minutes to spare depending on whether it's going to be a good score day or a bad score day respectively, and about 20-25 minutes left on biology. I'd say if you're only able to get to half of the PS section, you need to learn how to get to a question and move on if it's taking more than a minute and a half to answer. You might also try answering all of the discrete questions first since they don't require you to refer to a passage and then going back and trying each passage, making sure you only give yourself about a minute and a half for each question (which includes time for reading the passage/going back to it). Biggest take home message though is: If you don't get it almost immediately, move on to potentially easier questions and then come back to the questions that give you trouble as time permits. Good luck!