Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.

Timing yourself during the ACTUAL MCAT

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by zed350, May 10, 2008.

1. zed350

zed350 I want my superapple

Pre-Medical
    What was your approch during the actual MCAT to make sure you finish "comfortably" in time. Also, Did you "aim" to spare few minutes at the end to go back and cross-check your answers?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bozz

You normally aim to do that. But for me, on the real deal, it was totally different. I had 2 minutes to go over marked answers. Do your best to get them right the first time.

4. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    The main approach I took was to always take timed practice. That got my timing down for the real thing. I also usually aimed to have about 3 minutes left over.

5. zed350

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for replies guys.

Were you checking clock for the time left after each passage?? or a couple of passages?? or you just tried to trust your instincts that you were on time and not worry bout it?

6. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    I checked every so often because I got a little paranoid during the real thing, but my instincts were right. Part of getting down the timing is learning how to do problems more efficiently. Just thought I'd throw that out there. The key is to practice timed passages. Did I mention to practice timed passages? Practice timed passages.

7. What up doc

What up doc FLASH

Resident [Any Field]
    yea the key is timed practice...also for bio and phys i wrote down 57,40,25,9 at the top of my page...i did the discreets first and tried to finish by 57 and 2 passages for the next cutoffs....after practicing however i usually finished the discreets in about 7 or 8 minutes..on practice test i would finish with around 15-17 min but only had about 10 on the real deal to go over answers...

another key thing for me was to no get hung up on questions...by using my time guidelines, if i felt i was gonna meet my cut offs...i moved on...knowing i would have time to come back

8. paranoid_eyes

Pre-Medical
    this is really good advice. i sometimes waste like 3 minutes on a question (here and there) adding up to a rushed ending with little-no time to spare for review

9. zed350

Pre-Medical
    That is Really helpful.Thanks.

Anyone else had a similar/different strategy ??

10. YogiDoc23

YogiDoc23 Flight Surgeon

Attending Physician
    2 months ago, my timing was great and i would finish with a few minutes left. however, when reviewing, i noticed that i was missing questions by not reading the questions correctly or not reviewing a detail in the passage.

last month, i slowed down during the questions and skimmed the passages and tried mapping better. only problem is that sometimes i can not get to the last passage or two.

i got two weeks to go. think it is better for me to get through all the questions? and then just write out the major things that the questions are asking to keep me focused? do you know if we can highlight parts of the questions during the exam?

11. zed350

Pre-Medical
    I am in the exact same position you are. My accuracy suffers if I try to get thru my questions in hurry. If i slow down then I barely finish.
    You CANNOT highlight questions (atleast in the practice mcats).

I often miss a part of question or keywords like NOT,never,except..etc..frustrating:mad:

Anyone else have a comment/suggestion

12. What up doc

What up doc FLASH

Resident [Any Field]
    i would do that too initially...infact, on practice i rarely got questions wrong because i didnt know how to do them in ps or verbal...it was usually bcuz i missread or made a stupid calc error...so once i got my problems solving skills up 2 speed i started triple checking my answer and rereading the question after i did the problem for ne question that took me less than 30 sec...this sounds like it takes time but i mean really really quickly triple checking looking carefully at adjectives and qualifiers especially...i also always resaid the question in my head while doing the problem...especially in verbal....saying the NEVERS, or NOTS, WEAKENS extra loud in my head...lol...

13. YogiDoc23

YogiDoc23 Flight Surgeon

Attending Physician
    would had been a sweet to highlight parts of the questions. I'll guess that i'll try to do what "what up doc" does or write down the key words on my scratch paper

14. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna

Fellow [Any Field]
    is there always 7 passages for verbal? i've been having trouble getting my timing down because all of the pracice tests I have been doin on Kaplan have been 6 passages 40 questions so ive been given myself 10 minutes a passage..... now when i take AAMC there are 7 passages so its like 8.5 minutes which is a HUGE difference. i'm just starting to get used to it.

15. zed350

Pre-Medical
    Yea, its always 7 man. 8.5 min isnt too bad, just practice it you will get it down soon.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna

Fellow [Any Field]
    yea its not too bad, it was just a shock when i took my first AAMC test and i timed my self for 6 passages and i still had a whole passage left at the end!! i'm gettin the hang of it tho.