timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchopra85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone..just curious as to how you all go about pacing yourselves during the various sections..

do you give yourself a cetain amount of time per passge? or just move on to the next once you have finished the passage?

what are your strategies/tips/suggestions

happy studying!

Members don't see this ad.

jchopra85 said:
hey everyone..just curious as to how you all go about pacing yourselves during the various sections..

do you give yourself a cetain amount of time per passge? or just move on to the next once you have finished the passage?

what are your strategies/tips/suggestions

happy studying!

i used to look at the clock after every verbal passage, but i noticed that it started freaking me out...so now i look every 2-3 passages to make sure im not slacking..

i don't really worry about time in PS or BS, i usually have time left over...but lately i look at around the half way point so passage 5/6, i will check time and then again at around 10 to make sure im okay.

For PS i get all the free standing questions done in ABOUT 10minutes. I then give myself 8 minutes per passage. For verbal i give myself 9minutes per passage, 4-5minutes to read and 4-5minutes to answer the questions. For BS I give myself around 12minutes on the free standing and I generally get the passages done in 7-8 minutes. And yes I check my watch very often.

I make a mental note to finish almost 4 passages for every half hour, if there's a passage with more than 10 questions then I leave a little more time. So I check the time after every 3-4 passages to make sure I'm on track.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do the Kaplan timing strategy, and it works for me. That is three passages in 24 or so minutes.

I had real timing issues on PS until last week. I don't need to watch the clock really for verbal and the just occasionally with bio. For PS I wear my running watch, which has a lap timer so I allow my self 8 min per passage (counting the discretes as a passage) and hit lap after each one. This way I know exactly how much time has passed b/c I tend to get fixated on getting a question correct and loose track of time.