Tip of the Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc2md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The AAPM&R RPC board is considering starting a weekly or twice a month email to all the chief residents (and then disseminated to all the residents through them hopefully) with "Physiatry Tips".

Little tid bits of useful information for all the residents at all levels of training.

If any of you can think of things that would be good, post it here, or email me at "rpc.liaison at gmail.com".

Remember to think about all levels. Even if it sounds too basic for PGY3 or 4, send it anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

As an example:

Buffering the pH of the acidic lidocaine by adding bicarbonate in a 10:1 ratio, significantly lowers the pain associated with local anesthesia.

It also causes a quicker onset of numbness.

So take a syringe and inject 2cc of bicarbonate into the standard 20ml bottle of 1% lidocaine, shake well, and serve with the skinniest needle (tuberculin, 30, or 25G).

If you leave the hospital for lunch and are dining with a co-resident at an al fresce cafe, make sure there are not more than 2 beer bottles in front of you when an attending walks by.

Good old days in Ghent....

Members don't see this ad :)
not quite what i was talking about Steve...but damn good advice regardless. haha

If you leave the hospital for lunch and are dining with a co-resident at an al fresce cafe, make sure there are not more than 2 beer bottles in front of you when an attending walks by.

Good old days in Ghent....
Tho' 'round the girdled earth they roam,
Her spell on them remains;
They have the still North in their hearts,
The hill-winds in their veins,
And the granite of New Hampshire
In their muscles and their brains.

Of course, the better song would actually be:

I wish I had a barrel of rum and
sugar, three hundred pound;
I’d put it in the College bell
and stir it ’round and ’round,
Let ev’ry honest fellow drink
his glass of hearty cheer,
For I’m a student of old
Dartmouth and a son of a gun for beer.
(Chorus)
I’m a son of a, son
of a, son of a, son of a,
son of a gun for beer.
I’m a son of a, son of a,
son of a, son of a, son of a gun for beer.
Like ev’ry honest fellow I
like my whiskey clear,
For I’m a student of old
Dartmouth and a son of a gun for beer.

And if I had a daughter, sir,
I’d dress her up in green;
And put her on the campus to
coach the freshman team.

And if I had a son, sir, I’ll
tell you what he’d do.
He would yell “to Hell with Harvard”
like his daddy used to do.