1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Tips for answering “why this school?” secondary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by subdermallight, Sep 13, 2018.

1. subdermallight

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Apart from gleaning info from the website and school specific forum on here, any tips on how to answer that?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Docstar01

Contact current Med students at that school from linkden, instagram, Facebook, etc. and ask their opinions.

4. GoCubsGo20

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't contact current medical students. If you can't figure out why you'd want to attend said school, students likely don't want you there.

5. ChymeofPassion

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Who pissed in your cereal this morning

6. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Besides making positive comments on curriculum components, grading system, & early patient contact, university resources (strength in a given research area), and the like, that appeal to you, you can mention community elements you find desirable (eg, free clinic that med students staff), local support persons (if any), and last, recreational interests (even though you'll have little time for them).

Confocal and realitysickness like this.
  7. Beshwaji

Pre-Medical
    Staying with student hosts, when possible, is a good way to get information and prep the day before. I would try to stay with an MS2+, since the first-years have been in school ~1 month at this point.

8. GoCubsGo20

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My dog. My dog pissed in my cereal.

ChymeofPassion likes this.
  9. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

TOS #7

10. ClimbsRox

Look what teaching hospitals they are affiliated with where you will be doing your clinical training. Are they urban? Rural? Predominantly Spanish-speaking? Serve local Native American populations? Do they have an NCI-designated cancer center or another disease-specific institution you are interested in working with? etc. Do any of these traits line up with your goals in medicine? Write/talk about it.

subdermallight, gyngyn and Catalystik like this.
  11. cj_cregg

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do some research on the school - check out their website, contact any current students you know (though I don't recommend randomly contacting students you don't know...), find out what's in the news about the affiliated hospital system or the school itself, etc. Most applicants don't have a direct connection, so it's expected that most of your information is coming from online.

The best answers to this question tend to demonstrate how the school's values align with your own. For instance, if the school has a heavy focus on X, what X experience do you have and what have you learned from it that made you want to continue doing it? How do you see yourself incorporating X into your career, and how will the school's specific X-related programs get you there?

gyngyn and Catalystik like this.
  12. Esotsm7

Okay here's what I did when I interviewed a few years ago in addition to some of the stuff that's already mentioned above -

If you already have a career or research interest demonstrated in the rest of your application, search for an active researcher/professor at that school who's in that field and read up on their general areas of research. They don't have to be the big wig in their field or famous at all, chances are your interviewer may not even know who that is. You don't have to know every small detail about their work either, just get the gist of what kind of research they are into. If you do this right it will show that A) you did your homework, B) you know what you want from their program, C) it also gives you a chance to talk about your past experiences.

If you do this right it can help your application/interview look more cohesive and this way you can also avoid generic answers.

Good luck everyone!

13. Hi_I'mPaul

I kinda found similar student organizations, free clinics, research opportunities, and volunteering opportunities that matched what I did in undergrad--so I showed them that I had experience in the stuff that I liked about the school. All of these should be specific, not vague. For example, don't be like "the research opportunities here look cool." More like "the research in the ___ department about ____ intrigues me due to my undergrad research." Preferably find something more unique about the school and focus on those aspects rather than, say, their free clinics (as this is common). But you can for sure mention the clinics! Good luck ~

subdermallight and Catalystik like this.