Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Tips for dealing with gen chem 2?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by glamqueen, May 16, 2007.

1. glamqueen

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does anyone else feel like this gen chem material is sooo simple, but your brain makes it harder than it is? I'm about to start gen chem 2, and I'd love any tips on getting through it etc. Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RowaH

2+ Year Member

Just remember the golden rule of chemistry:

Understanding > Memorizing.

4. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Mmmmm, don't skip class, do the required readings/practice problems, take good notes, form study groups, establish a solid out-of-classroom presence with the prof.

5. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed
    7+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Totally agree with that. I never took one single page of notes for the entire semester of Gen Chem I. Just read the text, digested the information so I would understand the reasoning behind it, looked at some problems, and moved on. Worked for me, got an A.

6. geogil

geogil Still training.
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    My tip would be to work a lot of practice problems. I though gen chem was pretty algorithmic, not a lot of concepts; i.e. in situation X, you are expected to use equation Y. THat's partially why I didn't like gen chem too much.

7. BlueElmo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, though OChem is harder than GChem, OChem, in my opinion, is much more fun.

8. On3H34rT

On3H34rT Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Chem II utilizes much more math, so if you hate algebra, you'll probably hate Chem II. I would suggest you do lots of practice problems and brush up on some algebra if you are rusty.

9. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    meh... I thought the math required in chemistry was relatively simplistic. The challenging part was understanding what math to use in what situation. I had a horrible teacher for gen chem 2, so I had to rely completely on the book. Things ended up working fine...but it was one of my more stressful academic experiences.

10. RowaH

2+ Year Member

As christian15213 (2007) stated,

"Act as if... Act as if your life depended on it... Act as if this was the most interesting thing you have ever done in your life. Act as if you like this ship and want more of it. Act as if you're the most cockiest kid on earth and you are looking to destroy mofo's... Act as if there is no turning back the mission must be completed or you will not LIVE... ACT AS IF THIS CRAP MATTERS..."

P.S. I'm too lazy to do a works cited. I'm sure he won't sue me for plagiarism.
    Also don't know how to decrease font size. I know we're not supposed to use quotation marks in these large quotes with smaller font (don't know what it is called), but I don't care, I'm not being graded here :D.