1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Tips for incoming MSIIs

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by HappyMedStudent, Aug 6, 2006.

1. HappyMedStudent

HappyMedStudent New Member

Any tips/advice/suggestions on anything for incoming second years? On class, social life, boards, etc? Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BozoSparky

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    haha...guess not!

(i'm an incoming m2, too)

4. Syranope2

Syranope2 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

The people who would be able to give you advice about second year are current MS3's. Unfortunately, those people are now working 60+ hour weeks and studying for shelf exams, so you might find it hard to get any advice out of them :)

5. nockamura

nockamura Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

That's what I was thinking. Oh, well. I guess it's like 1st year, only with a really important test at the end.

6. dynx

dynx Yankee Imperialist
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    here's an MSIVs advice. Drink up. Party now...because soon it will all be over, relaxed lunches, sleeping through lecture to finally roll out of bed at noon...that bar with 2 dollar drinks on wednesday? ALL GONE! Skip as much class as humanly possible, you want rumors to begin that maybe you died. You want people to be stunned when you finally show up again at the test. Study hard on your own, study with Step 1 in mind and live it up. 3rd year aint a lof of fun.

7. 71263

71263 Guest
    7+ Year Member

Damn. I went through first year of med school thinking all Id have to do is get past step 1 and it would be smooth sailing from there. I figured rotations would be fun, that Id actually be seeing patients and doing medical stuff instead of being buried in textbooks reading about microtubules.

But lately, my dreams are being destroyed. Ive heard lots of 3rd year horror stories, and how they all tell me to cherish 2nd year. That scares me :scared:

8. 8744

8744 Guest

Non-Student
    Everything you need to know can be found on my humble blog.

9. 8744

8744 Guest

Non-Student
    Hey. Stand by for Step 2, Step 2 CS, Shelf Exams, Step 3, In-service exams, board exams, oral boards...it never ends.

10. 71263

71263 Guest
    7+ Year Member

Good to know, man. Good to know... :(

11. Syranope2

Syranope2 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

not everybody hates third year. a lot of people have a really good time with it. i think it depends on your expectations going in and your attitude towards the whole thing. granted i've only had 2 months of rotations, but i like this about 138 times better than lectures for 6 hours every day.

12. PoorMD

PoorMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

amen :thumbup: lecture sucs

13. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    1. Don't go to class.
    2. Start studying for boards after spring break.
    3. Go out as much as possible---this is the last year you will have so much free time.
    4. Harass the 1st years as much as possible, and make them think the 2nd year is extremely difficult.

14. dynx

dynx Yankee Imperialist
    15+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yeah, because you went to lecture. If you can study on your own and do well third year is just adding work to the mix...and most of the time its make work.

15. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    I completely disagree. You finally get to play doctor. I'm having the time of my life.

I put in 30 stiches on a guy's scalp who had a visible skull after being beaten with a metal pipe.

That beats going out with my friends every time.......

16. Syranope2

Syranope2 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

It's actually funny you say that, because I went to about four lectures during all of second year. What I was getting at was more like, learning in the hospital environment while actually doing things and having real people who are affected by your knowledge is much more satisfying to me than sitting in the library or my apartment and studying for hours on end for the sake of studying. Even though I do sit in my apartment this year and read, too, it's more directed towards patient care which makes it a lot more tolerable.