tips for letter of rec writers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artsydoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, one of my recommender's is a fairly recent PhD and asked me what an academic letter for medical school should have in it. Is there any site and/or general recommendations for the recommender that people are aware of? I did really well in the class and had a closer relationship with her than the average science class so am quite set on using her letter, but want to comply with her request for guidelines and have the best letter possible. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I may be able to help you out. Every letter that I have requested someone to write for my I include a CV, personal statement, the activities and work information I plan to list on my application, and a little cover letter that states the process on how to turn it in, what it "should" look like, tips for the writer, etc.

I do all this just to ease the process on them. The more information they have, the better the letter. As for the "tips" I copied and pasted the following from the cover letters that I sent to my professors when requesting LOR's. Hope it helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Letter of Recommendation Tips
· Admissions committees see on the application what activities you have listed, but recommendation letters tell them how you interact with people, what type of person you are, and stress your good qualities and support your application to medical school.
· What will help you are descriptions that show what type of person you are. In a great letter, you should be able to find strong positive descriptions of your personal characteristics and your attitude towards medicine that will make you a great physician. You should see statements that explain to the admissions people why you would be a great addition to the medical community.
· The letter writer has to support the recommendation with evidence, writing about your qualities rather than just stating that you will be a fine physician.
.o .“He was punctual, eager to learn, very interested, asked questions, was very attentive, well-mannered and friendly, and interacted well with patients. I enjoyed discussing things with him. He eagerly watched surgeries and was very inquisitive, professional, and respectful. He interacted well with patients and responded well to them. He was enjoyable to work and interacted with…”
· State how you know and under what conditions you know the person that you are writing the letter of recommendation for.
· How long and under what circumstances have you known the student?
· What particular characteristics have you observed which you feel might lend them to a career in medicine?
· If known, how does the student handle stressful situations?
· How would you assess the student’s emotional maturity?
· What extracurricular activities is the student involved in?
· How would you assess the student’s emotional maturity?
· You may address your letter "Dear Admissions Committee"

Hope this helps.