Tips for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalby

I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you guys have any tips that you can give us for medical school. I've heard a lot of people say, don't buy any books until you need them.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out this thread too--it got moved to the Everyone forum :(

<a href="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005160" target="_blank">Medical School Survivor Skills</a>

I did that for histology because an atlas wasn't required. But I'm the type of person who feels more comfortable using an atlas for reference. So I ended up buying one after the first test.

It really depends on how good the notes are. For instance one of our prof who taught several neuro lectures had one page outline notes for a chapters material out of Purves. So the book really was necessary. But I'm pretty annoyed that I bought a textbook for biochem and anatomy (atlas you need, textbook you don't need or may not need).

Jalbrekt,

The book tip is true...don't buy 'em unless you know you need 'em...with a couple exceptions...1) Buy Netter! and 2) if you are the kind of student who likes a textbook, buy it....the rest will come to you.

Also, try not to get behind.....med school isn't HARD in my opinion...it is draining....mentally and emotionally.....it is about having to study a great deal of material in a short period of time...and then moving on to learn something new....

You will be a better physician and do better on the boards if you study to learn the material, not just try to get good grades on exams....i.e. don't study to just pass tests...study to be a good doctor....

Try to find time during med school for the "little things"...the things that you enjoyed before med school...it will make you happier in the long run.

And on a personal note.... ALWAYS know that there are people who will support you through whatever obstacles come your way, just don't be afraid to ask for help.........and that there is always someone who looks up to you, admires your abilities, and values your friendship........

KVM