PhD/PsyD Tips for Preparing for State Licensing Exam (Kentucky)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trauma_Psych

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am preparing to take the state licensing exam in Kentucky. Does anyone who has gone through that process in Kentucky have any tips? I'm also open to tips from those who have gotten licensed in other states. FYI, I found this link which is incredibly helpful for an overview of the process in Kentucky. I am particularly wondering about tips regarding preparing for the oral exam. The instructions I received regarding the oral exam are as follows:

"Your examination will be comprised of two sections. The first section, which is administered orally, will consist of a series of structured questions relating to a case vignette. The vignette will be specific according to one of three age groups: child, adolescent, or adult [side note - you get to select the age group]. In order to prepare for the practice portion of the examination, it is suggested that you study casebooks and the most recent editions of the DSM and/or ICD, in addition to other materials of your choosing. Questions will center around diagnostic formulation and treatment."

I thought about reviewing an Abnormal Psychology textbook. Alternatively, I thought about reviewing the Clinical Handbook of Psychological Disorders which is much more in depth. Any suggestions in terms of how you prepared would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

thought about reviewing an Abnormal Psychology textbook
Why? I doubt an undergrad text would be as helpful as many many other things. They specifically suggest to study the DSM, so I would start there if you are not already confident with the DSM then review relevant grad coursework on dx and treatment. There are several books that would prob be helpful. I think the Oxford Textbook of Psychotherapy is one I skimmed years and years ago that has a basic (enough for state exams) overview of many areas.

Note: I am not at all familiar with Kentucky's exams.

I agree--I'd memorize as many of the DSM-5 diagnostic criteria as you can, if you haven't already, and would have an idea of broad associated interventions (e.g., ACT or CBT for depression, PE or CPT for PTSD, etc.). It also never hurts to read through the APA ethics code. If there isn't a separate exam for jurisprudence/state licensing laws, I'd read through those and be ready to incorporate relevant information as well.

Note: I also am not familiar with the Kentucky exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
How was the exam?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Not bad at all. I passed. I way over prepared. You definitely have to study but if you got good training in your doctoral program there's really no need to stress. The general consensus I heard was that the oral exam was easier than the written exam and that's what I found as well. Review the DSM-5 and be generally familiar with treatment approaches to the common kinds of disorders (e.g., depression, anxiety) and one should pass the oral exam.

If it is helpful to others, I created an online flashcard set accessible here covering the state laws that may be useful in preparing for the written exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Not bad at all. I passed. I way over prepared. You definitely have to study but if you got good training in your doctoral program there's really no need to stress. The general consensus I heard was that the oral exam was easier than the written exam and that's what I found as well. Review the DSM-5 and be generally familiar with treatment approaches to the common kinds of disorders (e.g., depression, anxiety) and one should pass the oral exam.

If it is helpful to others, I created an online flashcard set accessible here covering the state laws that may be useful in preparing for the written exam.
Thanks! About how many hours of studying did you put in?

Thanks! About how many hours of studying did you put in?

Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 hours, but that was more than was necessary.

Reactions: 1 user